Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFPS recovery-has anyone been successful?  (Read 175 times)

Offline Christine10S

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PFPS recovery-has anyone been successful?
« on: July 11, 2018, 05:13:53 AM »
Iím a 49 year old female & have been diagnosed with PFPS after a Wall squat injury 9/1/17.  Itís almost 11months-my pain has decreased considerably, from a 10 down to a sporadic 1 or 2 on a daily scale.  Sometimes I go days without any pain at all, but then it does come back.    I went from only being able to ride the stationary bike for 5 -7 min a day to now walking at a good pace on the treadmill for 20 min & then another 15 min on the Elliptical.  Iíve been working with an amazing PT group for the past 4 months & have seen great improvement, but I have this fear that I will have this for the rest of my life.  The first 6 mos I avoided going anywhere or doing anything because the pain was so bad.  I was rearranging my life around icing my knees everyday!  I have competed in tennis 🎾 the past 15 years-it is the love of my life! my heart has broken since this happened.  I do my strength exercises faithfully...just starting to give up any hope.  Any positive thoughts would really help 😰

Offline PwordsB

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
Re: PFPS recovery-has anyone been successful?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 08:31:35 AM »
Hey. Sorry to read of your struggle.

I don't have any experience of PFPS, only various problems ranging from 'pffff' to 'aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggh' since an injury in 2016. My thoughts to share aren't very positive based on my expectations and what the surgeons tell me, but I do have something for you. I think that living in pain is very hard to be okay with. Of course it's difficult. But the concept of giving up is even worse for the brain. Giving up hope is like admitting that you're going to let the struggle overwhelm you every day. You can't do that. Don't get me wrong, until you fix the problem, you're gonna have days where that struggle absolutely destroys you and it feels like there is no way out. I suspect the majority of people on this forum would agree with that. But you should spend your days working on it for as long as it takes, even if it takes forever, so that when you look back on the whole situation, you will either have finally beaten the struggle because of your hard work or you'll still be struggling, but comforted by the knowledge that you truly gave it everything you had. I think that's the most important part of all this. Look into the mirror and see an unfaultering warrior who continues to prove that she will never be held down. Coping with constant or regular pain is awful and it sounds like you are doing pretty well. Enjoy the self respect you've earned.
Snowboard injury 21/01/16
Open cartilage graft (Chondrotissue) 29/06/16
Sub-total lateral meniscectomy, LTP cartilage removal 20/01/17
11mm Closing Medial DFO and LTP Microfracture 10/08/18

Offline James NZ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 08:38:15 AM »
Hi Christine,

Improvement is exactly what you want! If you're continually improving this is the gold standard! The trick is to respect the joint and give it the rest it requires. Do not aggravate it by going back to your old activities too soon. One year away from you activities is far better than a life time away. Wishing you all the best.

Offline Christine10S

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 04:53:48 AM »
To both responders to my PFPS- THANK YOU!!!
That was the BEST advice I could have received.  This warrior will persevere,
And you are right - giving up a year to rest up & rebuild & then have the rest of my life be somewhat pain free in my knee area is well worth it!
THANK YOU!!! :)