Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What does this mean and whats a good plan of action to take  (Read 170 times)

Offline agrace

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I recently got an MRI on my right knee, as I've had knee pain for years.
These were the results, and I was just wondering if anyone could offer me some more clarification/ potential next steps to helping the pain/ a diagnosis. I have a doctors appointment to go over things next week, but I am just an anxious person!
XR -
Bone Spur on back of patella
MRI-
FINDINGS:
    *  Menisci: Normal, without evidence of intrameniscal signal abnormality
    or tear.
    *  Ligaments: ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL: Normal, without evidence of tear or
    abnormal signal.
    *  Extensor Mechanism: Normal, without tendinosis, tear, or bursal
    thickening. No increased bursal fluid.  Edema within the fat planes
    adjacent to the lower pole of the patella but the patellar tendon and
    lower pole otherwise appear intact. The retinacula are unremarkable.
    *  Joint: Small amount of joint effusion. No evidence of Baker's cyst.

*  Miscellaneous: Minimal lateral tilt of the patella. Minimally shallow
    appearance of the trochlear groove; however, no secondary evidence of
    recent patellar dislocation.
Any help or advice for next steps is greatly appreciated! I have already gone through physical therapy & bracing, but don't know if anything could change know that they have MRIs. I also don't know if this means that there is anything wrong or not ,which is another thing I'd like some clarification on.

Offline PwordsB

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
Re: What does this mean and whats a good plan of action to take
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 07:59:33 AM »
Hello. I hope you're having a good day or are about to.

I'm not an expert, but have spent a lot of time looking at my own MRI scans and the reports on them. If I had that report, I would be very pleased. It sounds to me like there's a bit of swelling here and there, but nothing significant visible. The slight abnormalities in your knee sound like the sorts of things that you'd find on absolutely every MRI scan that just make our knees individual and don't necessarily mean there's something wrong (wait for someone with more knowledge to reply though).

I hope your appointment next week is with a knee consultant, not just a general practitioner. In my experience, a general doctor will simply read that scan and tell you what they understand from it. You need a consultant who knows the knee in huge detail to examine it and try to figure out where that pain is coming from. Hopefully they'll be able to find a reason that can be combatted with non-invasive action.
Snowboard injury 21/01/16
Open cartilage graft (Chondrotissue) 29/06/16
Sub-total lateral meniscectomy, LTP cartilage removal 20/01/17
11mm Closing Medial DFO and LTP Microfracture 10/08/18

Offline LisaWilliams38

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 04:05:19 AM »
My opinion (from experience) is that bone spurs can be extremely painful. If you have one on the back of your kneecap, as your x-ray states, that could and likely is the cause of your pain.

I have kneecap/partellar pain due to full-thickness articular cartilage defects on the back of my knee, and it bothers me significantly.  I've also had a bone spur growing downward into my ankle joint back in 2004, and the ONLY way to get relief was to have it cut out. No physical therapy or staying off of my feet or cortizone injections solved the problem permanently. I had to have surgery to get relief, and it was the best decision I could have made. That was in 2005, and I've had no trouble with than ankle since.

Based on the MRI, I would agree that the soft tissue findings look pleasing, but bone spurs can and are a huge source of pain for many people. If possible, I'd check into your options to see about having it removed surgically. Since the MRI seems to show nothing else causing a major problem (and pain), I'd say that bone spur must be the problem.

Best of luck to you.

--Lisa
'98 R plica
'99 L resect discoid meniscus
'01 L  meniscus tear
'02 R  meniscus tear
'10, R meniscus tears, Bursectomy
'13, R 3 meniscus tears, Grd 3 Biocartilage fil
'15 R Oct-ACI harvest,
'15 R Dec-ACI implant
'16 R Mar-lysis of adhesions
'16 R Mar-MUA
'18 L 3 menis tears, Grade 4 Biocartilage fill

Offline Kitkat766

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 04:47:09 PM »
If I had that report, I would be very pleased.

Definitely! If I had an MRI that has that many ‘normal’ descriptions I would be jumping with joy (literally)!