Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Warm Knee after arthroscopic surgery  (Read 195 times)

Offline Bella Gamba

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Warm Knee after arthroscopic surgery
« on: July 08, 2018, 07:50:57 PM »

About five weeks ago I had arthroscopic surgery (in conjunction with removal of TPF metal implant).  I noticed that my operated knee (microfracture -two different sites and minor shaving of the meniscus)  feels warm even after I ice it (compared to my other knee).  There is no reddening, inflammation, or signs of infection  Is this normal or should I worry? Should I ice more often?

I am still doing flexion exercises to improve range of motion, 30 min of stationary bike (no resistance) and strengthening exercises as well as short walks and ice for about 20 min after I complete exercises.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Offline LisaWilliams38

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 8
Re: Warm Knee after arthroscopic surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 12:52:40 AM »
I was told by my physical therapist and my surgeon just a couple of weeks that the warmth "should" go away by the 3rd week post-op. Personally, this has never been the case for me. I'm almost 8 wks out from my Microfracture, and it's just been the last week to ten days that my warm periods have subsided. Thus, I was definitely still getting warmth at the 6 wk mark.

Keep in mind my surgeon and Rheumatologist still aren't sure if I have an underlying "undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis" though, so I may not be the perfect example.  I get 2-3 periods a year where my knees flare with severe arthritic pain/inflammation, but then again, I've had 7 ops on the right knee and now 3 on this left one. I've read its not uncommon for osteoarthtitic knees to also get warm for short periods of time.

Sorry if I'm not much help, but I'd give it another week or two and see if it completely stops. If not,then I think I'd ask more questions. Best of luck to you.

--Lisa
'98 R plica
'99 L resect discoid meniscus
'01 L  meniscus tear
'02 R  meniscus tear
'10, R meniscus tears, Bursectomy
'13, R 3 meniscus tears, Grd 3 Biocartilage fil
'15 R Oct-ACI harvest,
'15 R Dec-ACI implant
'16 R Mar-lysis of adhesions
'16 R Mar-MUA
'18 L 3 menis tears, Grade 4 Biocartilage fill

Offline Kitkat766

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
Re: Warm Knee after arthroscopic surgery
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 05:01:18 PM »
I’ve had surgery twice on my left knee - first open surgery for pin insertion and second was arthroscope to repair a broken pin. Both times it took around 2 months for the warmth to go away - if there are no other symptoms (redness, localised swelling, increased pain) I wouldn’t worry too much but just mention it to your physio or surgeon at your next appointment.

Good luck with recovery!

support