Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFJR post op activity  (Read 629 times)

Offline Dave33

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 5
Re: PFJR post op activity
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 10:41:45 PM »

Hi RGB - interesting update. First off, I'm hoping you're at least skiing well enough such that it's enjoyable... I'm guessing that you've been overcompensating for the patella for quite some time, probably unconciously, and some supporting muscle structures have suffered as you mention. I woulnd't be suprised if you came back stronger than when you left, and capable of doing more next ski trip! - assuming of course, that the knee is limited to minor swelling only, as opposed to outright pain. Smart to take it easy, especially since you haven't been to the slopes much.

I played a game of ice hockey on the weekend as a sub player (one of the regulars was out), and let me tell you, any second thoughts I might have had about scheduling the replacement were gone by about 5 minutes after the game started. I was awful, slow, in terrible pain, and still am 3 days later. I'm actually relieved that it hurt so much, because it justifies the decision. Sounds odd, doesn't it!

Let us know how the rest of your trip goes.

Offline Dave33

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 10:45:53 PM »
I see Froome is on his way back. I feel conflicted about him and cycling generally. It would be nice to assume that it's all completely clean but I suspect most, if not all, of them push the medical boundaries. Is he an outlier and deserving of the negative publicity he's getting? I'm not sure - the case is not so clear as for others in the past.

I agree with you 100%. I started as a fan during the Greg lemonde/ Laurent Fignon battles, and watched the sport deteriorate into the soap opera of doping - and the Lance Armstrong revelations were pretty much the last straw. When I tune it, it's usually to get a taste of the scenery, equipment and spectacle of it, particularly the mountain stages. But I could really care less who wins at this point.

Offline RGB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »
Hi Masterforte. See my posts (starting April 10) in the following thread for the start of a description of my post-op activity levels

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=55386.msg681372#new

I've then continued in this thread. Still swelling when I do too much and I've been told by the surgeon in no uncertain terms that I should not be pushing it to that point. So I'm trying to stay the right side of the line but made a deliberate decision I was going to ski with my kids this year, come what may. I'm hopeful the current swelling will subside in a week or so.

Cooperd70 - 500km cycling per week sounds pretty athletic to me!

Offline cooperd70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 11:22:23 AM »
Cooperd70 - 500km cycling per week sounds pretty athletic to me!
Whoops...was going to type 30 miles daily...its actually 15miles each way  ;D

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 326
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 12:31:38 PM »
I seem to recall he saw Ian McDermott

If your issues are patella, there’s a list of surgeons in the primer area of the learning portfolio

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/whos-who-knee-surgery

If you’re looking for a Consultant Physio rather than a surgeon, Clare Robertson at Wimbledon Parkside is recognised as a knee expert, especially when it comes to patellofemoral issues

If Cycling is your primary concern, and in London, check out Nicole Oh (Peloton physiotherapy)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 01:21:11 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Dave33

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 11:28:48 PM »
https://www.amjorthopedics.com/article/return-activities-after-patellofemoral-arthroplasty

Thought this was an encouraging journal/publication.

"Our findings show that patients who undergo PFA have a high rate of return to their preferred activities. These findings can be used to inform patients who want to remain active after PFA."

support