Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Saw Orthopedic Surgeon for 1 year followup (TPF)  (Read 51 times)

Offline Douglas Firs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Saw Orthopedic Surgeon for 1 year followup (TPF)
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:27:03 PM »
In December, I saw my operating surgeon for a 6 month followup. I was 5 degrees short of 0 extension, 110 degrees flexion.

Today, I saw a different Ortho Surgeon (I had to change for insurance reasons) who was a total dipshit. However, I still have -5 degrees extension, 110 flexion. no change. still limping.

very discouraged.

this surgeon seemed to have watched too many TV medical dramas and thought it was his job to bluntly  'shatter my illusions' about the potential for 'full recovery' (illusions which I did not give any indication of harboring). He answered every question with gratuitous, flippant sarcasm and essentially seemed hellbent on driving the conversation away from my reasonable inquiries about improving my fairly poor ROM, and toward prematurely fatalistic  acceptance that I should be grateful to limp along with my bent knee for the rest of my life.

I am noticing this tone with all of my doctors. They preemptively frame every interaction as "Every question you ask is foolish and I am here to contradict you by rote on every point, even if that involves contradicting my own statements within the same conversation."

I am very angry.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:02:58 AM by Douglas Firs »

Offline Bella Gamba

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Saw Orthopedic Surgeon for 1 year followup (TPF)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »
Hi Douglas,

Sorry to hear about your new doctor encounter and your lack of progress on ROM and extension.

Is there a way you could ask for a referral for a knowledgeable and sympathetic OS (can you speak to your general doctor about these issues)?  A good PT should also be able to help with some ideas of exercises you can do on your own to improve the situation.   It is likely that because of the trauma it may take years to recover your full extension and ROM.

Are you in pain? 

I would suggest that you try myofascial stretch or release therapy.  This is in my opinion what helped me increase my ROM to almost the same as my good leg.  It is interesting that PT professionals or doctors do not recommend this type of therapy.  Do a Google search and see if you can find a professional in your area.  Generaly these people are also personal trainers as they work on your whole body not just your leg (they are connecting all your body parts so that they work together in harmony). I would still ask your general doctor if this a right for you… However, I did sustain a lot of pain after the treatment so it is something you need to be prepared for.

Wish you the best.

Bellla