Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How to stop favoring bad leg ?  (Read 196 times)

Offline Alex36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How to stop favoring bad leg ?
« on: June 09, 2018, 10:48:06 AM »
Hi There,

I had some issues in my left knee, mostly due to muscle weakneeses and therefore, I started PT 4 weeks ago and I also go to the gym to workout.

He gave me some exercice to strenthen my glutes and my VMO which worked pretty well as my leg is much stronger now. I also do leg press / leg extension and Harmstring curl at the gym.

The problem I have now is that I have tendency to favor my bad leg, for example when walking, I push harder with my good leg. The consequences of that is that my right side ( good leg ) is really tight and my hips / glutes are super tight and sometimes painfull.

I talked to my PT about it and he told me to mind my gait when walking to stop overusing the good leg. I try to do that but I find it quite diffcult, somehow my body wants to shift weight on the good leg even tho my bad leg is quite strong now... I feel like there is also a psychological factor as I am always thinking about it, when I walk stand etc.

I do strech my glutes / hips and it feels really good after that.

Does anyone had this issue and how did you manage to fix it ?

Thanks,

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 344
  • Neelie knee!
Re: How to stop favoring bad leg ?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »
I should think youíll just need to keep working very hard at it, concentrating on retraining your brain

Iím the same. When I stand Iím told that I basically just use the bad side for balance

4 weeks is very soon, I expect youíll need to keep at it for 6-12 months minimum. Stretching and strengthening
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Alex36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
Hi Vickster,

Yes that's it, sometimes my bad leg feels just like a support for the good leg to push... The thing that I didn't had such gait imbalnce before, that's what is worrying me but my leg is getting stronger on the other hand so I guess my body needs to find a new balance..

I will keep practising and try to keep my gait balanced, hopefully things will come back in order by themselves!

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 344
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 01:14:27 PM »
Have you also had your gait/feet checked by a podiatrist?

What did you do to your knee? Did you have surgery?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Alex36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 02:02:55 PM »
I have flat feet but I am wearing orthotics in my shoes for that. He made me walked and said that I am pushing harder with the good side... I tend to think that this issue is due to me overthinking my gait and loosing balance somehow.. I surprised myself walking fine when I think about something else sometimes and as I soon as start minding my stride, the imbalance starts ahah.

I probably sprained my knee 2 years ago with some minors swelling and didn't really took care of it so my leg weakened, he said that my VMO et glutes were firing late comparing to the good side. He gave me some glutes and vmo exercice with single leg squat and my leg feels more stable now. I just need to fix that gait thing now..

support