Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Will I need surgery for meniscus tear?  (Read 123 times)

Offline davfort

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Will I need surgery for meniscus tear?
« on: June 09, 2018, 01:13:51 AM »
I had an MRI done last week and it found a parrot beak tear in the body of my lateral meniscus, with a fragment flipped into the posterior medial compartment, along with a baker's cyst. I am wondering if you think the doc will suggest surgery? School is coming up so I would kind of rather have the surgery done early and am afraid that PT alone will not fix my problem.

Offline PwordsB

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
Re: Will I need surgery for meniscus tear?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 08:51:20 AM »
My guess would be that a doctor will recommend an arthroscopy, based on what you've said.  It's just a guess, of course.  I'm basing that on part of your lateral meniscus having made its way over to the medial side and needing to be removed. 

I'm not a fan of surgery, though.  I had an injury 2.5 years ago that required surgery and my life is now wholly centred around knee problems, what surgery I'll be having next and how long it might be before the next part of my knee gives up.  I needed surgery and couldn't have avoided it, but if there's a chance you can sort your issue out without an operation, I think it's worth the effort and time that it takes.
Snowboard injury 21/01/16
Open cartilage graft (Chondrotissue) 29/06/16
Sub-total lateral meniscectomy, LTP cartilage removal 20/01/17
11mm Closing Medial DFO and LTP Microfracture 10/08/18

support