Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need a encouraging word for my grandson  (Read 259 times)

Offline Linda4311

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Need a encouraging word for my grandson
« on: June 08, 2018, 05:39:55 AM »
My grandson lives, eats and breathes basketball.  Today at summer practice another kid bumped knees with him and it broke his patella in half.  He is having surgery tomorrow.  This will be his senior year on the basketball team.  Season doesn't start till December.  Can I in good faith tell him that he should be well by then and able to play as well as he does now.  Just a worried grandma with a very discouraged grandson.  It is a clean break, no pieces or anything.  I know they say 6-8 weeks for recovery, but can he realistically look forward to playing ball in December?

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 25
Re: Need a encouraging word for my grandson
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »
Everybody heals differently, younger people usually much faster than older people. But a patella fracture is still a rather complicated injury and takes some time to heal. And then you have the muscles that need to be built up again. So all in all, I would (in my layman's opinion) be hesitant to tell him that in December he will be able to play at the same level as he did before injury. Maybe somebody with personal experience of patella fracture can chip in? Still, let's hope for a speedy recovery!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 06:54:42 PM »
I'll add that 6-8 weeks to recovery is an extremely conservative estimate...triple that is probably closer to the real thing.  Another thing is, enthusiasm to get back to high impact sports asap can actually set recovery time back even farther.  I would repeatedly encourage him not to do too much too soon.  Personally, I don't think basketball is going to happen by december...but he is very young and I could be wrong.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

Offline BenAldridge0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 12:11:16 AM »
December is the beginning of the basketball season for high school, but that's just preseason exhibition matches and tournaments. He could be back afterwards and come into the full swing of things mid-season.

I would caution against making promises you can't guarantee, but what if you looked up and invested in a really good physical therapist after his surgery to expedite his recovery? If that's something you have the resources for, then perhaps that can be your encouraging word.

Aside from that, even if he can't come back by December, perhaps the coaches can take him under their wing and teach him more about the x's and o's of the team. Make him a smarter player by the time he returns to court.

Offline Geronimo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 02:48:15 AM »
i think is surgery goes well and he doesn't push the rehab he could be back in december.

good luck with that, he'll need it.

support