Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee weakness for 14 months. Diagnosis unclear  (Read 539 times)

Offline BenAldridge0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Knee weakness for 14 months. Diagnosis unclear
« on: June 03, 2018, 08:39:32 AM »
Good evening,

I've been suffering from knee pain for the last 14 months. I was a runner and avid swing dancer, and in one distinct moment while practicing a move, there was a sharp jolt of pain up the inside of my left knee, which was followed by clicking and popping noises in the following weeks. In retrospect, I believe I had a grade 1 sprain of my MCL.

In the time after, my right knee has never healed. I have been diagnosed with patellofemoral knee syndrome, but skeptical that really is what's going on. Arthoscopy and MRIS have not revealed any damage, but all the physical therapy that I have done has not improved my right knee one, single iota. I am beside myself, and so frustrated. My hospital has not been able to help me, and I think they are probably sick of me at this point.

With that said, I have two videos I would like to share: one is me explaining the injury, and the other is a demonstration of how weak my right knee is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxtjOsfXn5s  explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-xTDcs4O0   demonstration

It would mean so much if a knee scholar were to view the videos and touch bases with me. I have no clear place to go to receive a proper diagnosis and help because again, I'm not too high on my health care.

Thank you

Ben

Offline tensters

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: Knee weakness for 14 months. Diagnosis unclear
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 10:27:30 AM »
How long ago did you have the arthroscopy? That alone can take a while to recover from. I've never been helped much by PT for a knee or back condition personally. I feel it made one condition for me worse. It was not until I just did normal gentle activities walking etc that in time I recovered and regained full strength.  Running would have been completely out of the question during this healing time. With anything that caused me pain I would back off and find a level that caused little or no pain if possible. It's hard for me to say what exactly is going on in your case other than you have some weakness/ pain and certain sensations. I'm definitely no knee scholar. Maybe back off a little on the exercise and consult with another OS - get a different set of eyes on it? Hope you are able to get your knee better.

Offline BenAldridge0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »
The arthroscopy was a few months ago, but the kind of pain and weakness I've experienced transcends arthroscopy -- it has been there before, and it has remained after.

Offline Alex36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 02:22:19 PM »
I got the same issue where I could not do single leg squat. It was due to weak muscle in my glutes and VMO, since I did exercices to streghten them ( clam, bridge, straight leg lift ) and trainning single leg squat with a support. I can now do them without support. You should be assessed by a PT to find which muscle need to be worked and do the exercices as told.

Offline BenAldridge0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 08:02:18 PM »
Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for replying!

I did see a physical therapist and did all the exercises I was told to do. After a few months, the physical therapist was mystified as to why my knee weakness wasn't getting better.

When she administered the leg flexibility and resistance test, I showed the kind of improvement she was expecting, however, when I came time to test out the knee itself, there was zero improvement whatsoever. It got to the point where she said she had given me everything knew and didn't do what to say.

Did you experience a tingling/burning sensation on the inside of your right knee? For me, my right knee has been so weak, that I cannot even use it to lift myself up a curb or a stair. It has remained this weak for 14 months with zero improvement, and my leg has atrophied -- my right leg is now 4 centimeters smaller than my left. 

Offline Alex36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »
Hi Ben,

I did have swelling in my knee that went away after some time... I believe most of your problem comes from the muscle atrophy if the struture of your knee if fine.

I just had a little weakness in the muscles and my knee was really weak due to that so with 4cm muscle imbalance versus the good leg, I am not really surprised that your knee still feels very weak.

In my opinion you should keep working those muscles and try to make them stronger. It takes a lot of time and progress are slow, just make sure to not overdo it as it can set you back... Have you tried electostimulation ?

Cheers

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:39:29 PM by Alex36 »

Offline BenAldridge0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 02:48:08 AM »
Thanks Alex.

This is a tough journey, as I'm sure you know, and feedback like that is encouraging. No matter what my issue is, strengthening my knee points toward improvement.

I brought up electrotherapy to my doctor. I can't remember the specifics, but the option wasn't available.

It's hard to say if my knee atrophy is BECAUSE of the underlying problem or caused by it, but in any event, I've been tackling my right quad pretty intensely the past week, in terms of advancing the flexibility and administering muscle improving exercises on it.

Unlike you, I have not experienced any swelling whatsoever, though I presume there has been inflammation in the cartilage and joint area.

Offline BenAldridge0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 05:35:11 AM »
Good evening all,

I wanted to bump this thread to share a new potential development. I figured it was more convenient for others than posting a new topic. Let me know if it's not though!

Today, I came across the term "psuedo locking" and had the closest thing to an "Aha!" moment I've had in a long while. Given that arthroscopy and MRIs have yielded no structural abnormalities, in conjunction with my severe limitation in being able to bend my knee (WITH WEIGHT ON IT), I think this narrows down the phenomena I'm experiencing with a high degree of certainty.

Can someone point me toward helpful resources on navigating through the potential causes of such a task? I have had difficulty finding them.

Thanks!

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 344
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 07:44:52 AM »
Donít know if helpful but dictionary definition here

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/knee-dictionary/pseudo

And a number of prior mentions on the site come up if you search on pseudo locking

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?action=search2

Eg http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=48165.msg467602#msg467602
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 07:46:29 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline BenAldridge0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 04:14:49 PM »
Thanks Vickster you're always so quick to help.  I think the google book has potential, but id have to put down a lot of money to read it!

One oft he links is defunct, and yes I'm familiar with the definition.

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 344
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
Presumably the causes are physical - ragged meniscus, rough cartilage, fluid, bone spur, prior surgery, scar tissue, pain inhibition etc or maybe even psychological

Indeed seems to be more neurological and due to pain

http://www.londonbridgeorthopaedics.co.uk/specialities/knee/knee-symptoms/

http://www.londonorthopaedic.com/knee-locking/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 04:27:06 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation