Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Breaking my Spirit  (Read 265 times)

Offline swtlisab

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Breaking my Spirit
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:55:05 PM »
11/9/17 I was riding my motorcycle to work and hit by a distracted driver.  My tibial plateau was shattered into more than 30 pieces on the right side, left side was broken in 3 pieces, tore the MCL completely off, tore the PCL, and fractured the tibia straight down to about 1" above the ankle. I was 16 weeks NWB, 2 months PWB with a brace, and now I'm FWB as tolerated w/o a brace (still using crutches).  i went through 10 weeks of PT.  I'm getting extremely depressed now.  For a while it was like I was making progress every week and now it stopped. My entire knee area is still numb on the outside, the inside I feel pain and foreign objects (plates). I can only walk with one crutch for a very short distance and extreme limp. I'm frustrated, fed up, irritated and depressed.  I know it could be so much worse but I want my life back! The doctor doesn't really give me any answers except "you have a very traumatic injury". I get it, you can't give me definite, but at least give me hope!  I'm still waiting to find out if i will need a total knee replacement.  They can't do it yet because the tibia hasn't healed and they have no where to put a rod. It's been six months already. I would love to hear from anyone else that has gone through this kind of injury or similiar.  Is my recovery normal? Thank you for a place to whine.  Losing hope :(
Motorcycle accident (hit by car) 11/09/17
bicondylar schatzker VI tibial plateau fracture displaced
complete displaced MCL
torn PCL
vertical tibia fracture
ORIF 11/9/17
2 plates / 14 screws open surgery 11/15/17
NWB with brace - 16 weeks
PWB with brace - 8 weeks
PWB w/o brace - ongoing

Offline BenAldridge0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Breaking my Spirit
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 02:31:53 AM »
Hey there,

I can't relate precisely to your problem, though I'm 14 months in my own knee injury with no end in sight and losing faith in my doctors.

I just wanted to let you know I'm rooting for you and hope you find a light at the end of the tunnel soon.

While my knee injury hasn't been as devastating, I have lost the majority of the hobbies I once engaged in. In the past I was playing soccer, running, and swing dancing. Now I just spam knee forums and play starcraft XD

Best of luck to you man

Ben

Offline Frenchknee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:14:41 AM »
Hi,

I know how knee injuries can distroy your mind. I think u gotta keep your head up and try as much as possible to find a solution!
I have also knee problems and it's s**t, but I will try to find a way to heal. I even wanted to kill myself, running and Thaï boxing was my life.
It's not the end of the road and there are lot of ways to have a good recover.
I really wish you the best, we are in the same s**t. Take care of you.

Best from France!

Offline Bella Gamba

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 07:35:07 PM »
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your injury.  Having issues on both legs at the same time does not sound like fun.   Considering all this, I think what you are going through is totally normal.    However, with time you will heal and probably find your new “normal”.

I suffered a type V fracture last year and a few weeks ago had my metal implant taken out (so I am going through the healing process again!).  It is likely that after your bones heal your OS will be agreeable to remove hardware and things may feel better. 

I have heard from other TPF sufferers, we all will eventually heal but we need to be patient as these bone breaks take much longer to heal.   My OS told me once that I will never be normal based on how bad my fracture was.  Maybe he is right but I my attitude is to work hard to regain my strength and be active as I was once before.  I have too gone through similar recovery scenarios in which I was walking fine for a while and then got set backs and had to start again.  However, I only have one leg affected.  I can imagine it is much more difficult with two legs affected so you need to be twice as patient and work hard on regaining strenght.  Now that the metal implant is gone I am hoping for a speedier recovery but I am not there yet!

Take care and I wish you the best in your healing process and remember there is an end of the “long” tunnel.

support