Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Breaking my Spirit  (Read 124 times)

Offline swtlisab

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Breaking my Spirit
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:55:05 PM »
11/9/17 I was riding my motorcycle to work and hit by a distracted driver.  My tibial plateau was shattered into more than 30 pieces on the right side, left side was broken in 3 pieces, tore the MCL completely off, tore the PCL, and fractured the tibia straight down to about 1" above the ankle. I was 16 weeks NWB, 2 months PWB with a brace, and now I'm FWB as tolerated w/o a brace (still using crutches).  i went through 10 weeks of PT.  I'm getting extremely depressed now.  For a while it was like I was making progress every week and now it stopped. My entire knee area is still numb on the outside, the inside I feel pain and foreign objects (plates). I can only walk with one crutch for a very short distance and extreme limp. I'm frustrated, fed up, irritated and depressed.  I know it could be so much worse but I want my life back! The doctor doesn't really give me any answers except "you have a very traumatic injury". I get it, you can't give me definite, but at least give me hope!  I'm still waiting to find out if i will need a total knee replacement.  They can't do it yet because the tibia hasn't healed and they have no where to put a rod. It's been six months already. I would love to hear from anyone else that has gone through this kind of injury or similiar.  Is my recovery normal? Thank you for a place to whine.  Losing hope :(
Motorcycle accident (hit by car) 11/09/17
bicondylar schatzker VI tibial plateau fracture displaced
complete displaced MCL
torn PCL
vertical tibia fracture
ORIF 11/9/17
2 plates / 14 screws open surgery 11/15/17
NWB with brace - 16 weeks
PWB with brace - 8 weeks
PWB w/o brace - ongoing

Offline BenAldridge0

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Breaking my Spirit
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 02:31:53 AM »
Hey there,

I can't relate precisely to your problem, though I'm 14 months in my own knee injury with no end in sight and losing faith in my doctors.

I just wanted to let you know I'm rooting for you and hope you find a light at the end of the tunnel soon.

While my knee injury hasn't been as devastating, I have lost the majority of the hobbies I once engaged in. In the past I was playing soccer, running, and swing dancing. Now I just spam knee forums and play starcraft XD

Best of luck to you man

Ben

support