Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I need some clarification  (Read 309 times)

Offline Heisman14

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I need some clarification
« on: May 19, 2018, 12:15:37 AM »
I had ACL reconstruction a repair of my medial meniscus and I guess a partial menisctomy of my lateral meniscus. When should I be able to start walking? I have been unable to find anything about it. Is it longer because of the work on my meniscus? Iím 2 weeks post op should I start trying to put weight on it? 

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: I need some clarification
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 01:06:24 AM »
After my menisectomy, it has taken me over a year to finally be able to walk somewhat normal (w/out much pain)...at least so that no one can see my slight limp. 

Some of my problem was due to I couldn't built my leg muscles back due to pain.  The lack of muscle, I'm guessing, threw off all the impact points in my knee.  For the past 3 weeks, I've been going to the gym, doing low-weight squats and walking on the incline treadmill.  My knee feels significantly better.

no one knows how your body will react or heal from surgery. Follow your physical therapist's instructions and don't rush anything (don't even stationary bike) because it can lead to complications.  Working on your extension and flexion is probably the first thing PT will do. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:10:03 AM by jackson7 »
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

Offline Robbie_1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:51:41 AM »
I had ACL reconstruction a repair of my medial meniscus and I guess a partial menisctomy of my lateral meniscus. When should I be able to start walking? I have been unable to find anything about it. Is it longer because of the work on my meniscus? Iím 2 weeks post op should I start trying to put weight on it?

I had menisectomy 4. moths ago.. Immediately after surgery on the advice of a therapist i started using Acuraflex capsules and cream from Nutrilago. I tell you it helped me very much with rehabilitation..

Offline LisaWilliams38

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 05:43:37 PM »
I'm not sure if you're still  checking this thread, but I met a high-school or college-aged (?) guy at PT yesterday  who had ACL reconstruction with no meniscus tear or other damage. He was told  this is the  ONLY reason they let him walk full-weight-bearing at 2 wks. If it had been more than just his ACL (such as meniscus tear and/or MCL tear), he would have been on crutches for possibly months.

--Lisa
'98 R plica
'99 L resect discoid meniscus
'01 L  meniscus tear
'02 R  meniscus tear
'10, R meniscus tears, Bursectomy
'13, R 3 meniscus tears, Grd 3 Biocartilage fil
'15 R Oct-ACI harvest,
'15 R Dec-ACI implant
'16 R Mar-lysis of adhesions
'16 R Mar-MUA
'18 L 3 menis tears, Grade 4 Biocartilage fill