Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella popping, clicking and grinding after fracture - 9 months later  (Read 265 times)

Offline zebbedy94

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi,

I broke my left patella around 9 months ago riding my BMX bike.

I had a displaced transverse fracture straight across my left kneecap and 4-5 days later had an ORIF consisting of 2 screws.

The OS had explained to me that after surgery the surface of the patella was a little bumpy but should wear down somewhat smoothly again overtime.

I was in a brace for 9 weeks and in that time progressed well with regaining around 120-130 ROM.

When I came out the brace I started noticing that I was hearing a lot of noise from my kneecap but just presumed it would go away but overtime has got much worse.

I have recently seen the Musculoskeletal team in my area which assure me that the problem it is not caused by the hardware.

I am able to ride my bike and am trying to learn tricks again.

I am unable to one legged squats on my left leg which is causing me problems trying to relearn tricks on my BMX bike as my leg stays straight most of the time.

I'm not really in any pain with the grinding and clicking sensation but my knee does become quite sore overtime which I then use ice to help with it.

Is it possible to get back to the athletic level I was at before the fracture or do I have to just accept that it might not be possible to ride skateparks etc again.

Can anyone give me any advice? Is this something that might possibly get better overtime? and any advice on why my leg wants to stay straight most of the time?

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

- Zeb

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
I think you're pushing everything too soon.  Your knee is still healing and will for another 9 months or so...and should still get better even after that.  I've read some people don't even start feeling close to normal until 2 or 3 years later.

Personally, I'd take that experience as a lesson learned and stop riding bmx or any other bike...they will eff you up.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

Offline zebbedy94

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Thanks for your reply, Jackson7.

I hear what your saying and it does make sense to me

I seem to have came to a halt and not progressing anymore other than with strengthening muscles in that leg.

The problem to me seems to be the grinding, clicking and popping it feels like bone on bone to me and gets very sore throughout the day.

For me stopping riding is not really an option unless my knee wont let me anymore. I have bipolar disorder and it really does seem to help me mentally let alone physically.

Is the grinding etc normal shortly after a broken patella? Or could it be something more such as cartliage damage?

Thanks again,
Zeb

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
that's something you'd have to ask your ortho.  I do know cycling isn't particularly kind to kneecap cartilage...especially when that cartilage is already compromised.

I didn't fracture my patella, but still have pain, popping and clicking (probably grinding, too, but I can't feel or hear it)...and it's already been over a year since my surgery.  Mine is due to a combination of messed up cartilage (on kneecap, femur and tibia), scar tissue, thickened tendons (tendinosis), muscle weakness...and who knows what else. 

I can't walk on flat without significan't pain (incline isn't bad).  I can ride a stationary bike without pain (hurts next day), but am afraid to ride on the street...since slamming my knee did that much damage.

Do you take Glucosamine?  Some people say it does nothing for them, but others swear by it (they recommend  taking one or two more pills throughout the day than recommended on the bottle).  Maybe try that with a reduction in your pedaling...like ride every other day (or every 3 days) to allow your knee to return to a state of homeostasis.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.