Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL Torn or No Big Deal?  (Read 252 times)

Offline FireFighter70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Torn or No Big Deal?
« on: May 10, 2018, 07:27:07 pm »
Is it possible to have a torn or partially torn ACL that is not detected by an orthopaedic surgeon?  About 1.5 years ago I injured by left knee.  It basically buckled, I felt a slight pop, and had pain and instability for about 2 months before I visited by PT.  My PT told me I had a torn MCL and possible sprained ACL (he compared both knees to each other).  After a couple months of PT, I wasn't improving so was sent to my Ortho who did some tests, sent me for an MRI, and then told me it was fine and to just wear a brace for 6 weeks plus more PT.  Still no improvement, but I was frustrated so I stopped pursuing it about 1 yr ago.  However, in that yr, my knee has given out numerous times, and I have had periods of pain and swelling.  About 2 weeks ago I landed awkwardly and my knee (according to a bystander) hyperextended and then buckled with the top of the leg almost laying on top of the lower leg.  What I felt was my bones slide past each other and back, as if the joint dislocated and then went back in place.  Saw my Ortho again about 1 week after the injury, he did some tests, and told me he thinks it's just a bruise.  I am frustrated.  I am sick of being in pain, my knee is unstable, I don't trust it, and I know something is not right but I'm stuck.  My Ortho has only tested my injured knee, hasn't compared them.  I have read that it is important to compare them.  Any insights would be appreciated.  I'm a fire fighter and am terrified it is going to give out on me at a very bad time.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 345
  • Neelie knee!
Re: ACL Torn or No Big Deal?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 08:55:13 pm »
Get a second opinion :) If you donít trust it, you canít do your job properly. In your job, you need a knee that works. In the meantime, see an orthotist about proper bracing if needed. Could be Meniscus rather than ACL. Often
Missed on MRI

What country are you in?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 08:58:42 pm by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
More tears and wear, scope planned in Jan 2019 to tidy up

Offline FireFighter70

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06:54:24 pm »
Thank you Vickster for your reply.  I have been in a brace now for nearly 2 weeks and go back soon to see my ortho, so I am going to wait to see what he says.  If he can't help me, I am absolutely going for a second opinion for sure as you suggested.  This thing isn't right and hasn't been for some time.  I don't like drs and I don't like the thought of surgery, but at this point I'm willing to do anything to have it working right (or at minimum) closer to right.

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 11:17:53 pm »
joint injuries are effed up. Without actually looking inside the knee with a scope, external imaging can only diagnose so much (and then the results of which are frequently interpreted incorrectly).

When my ortho couldn't find out what was wrong with my knee with imaging, he suggested the last ditch effort of a diagnostic scope.  That revealed a torn meniscus and bunch of scar tissue (my body's reaction to just walking on it while torn). 

Since all non-invasive diagnosing measures have failed, I wouldn't hesitate recommending a diagnostic scope (during which they repair any problems).  The sooner you get it done, the less chance you have of damaging your knee further.
12/2015: slow speed bicycle crash
1/16: many x-rays & 2 MRIs only show tendinosis
3/16: bone scan shows uptake in all compartments
8/16: cortisone jab (no effect)
3/17: diag scope (part med meniscectomy, med fem chondroplasty, full synovectomy)
4/18: Pain finally diminishing. 65% function.

support