Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Re-tore ACL 4 weeks post-op  (Read 309 times)

Offline ClaireC1014

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re-tore ACL 4 weeks post-op
« on: May 07, 2018, 07:36:06 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am new here in terms of posting but have been reading a lot of these posts in the last few months.
I tore my ACL in a soccer game at the end of February, had a reconstruction on April 4th. They were able to just re-attach the ACL since it was a complete tear. (So I did not have any grafts done).
I had a fall last week and I immediately knew something was wrong. I felt the same way I did back in February.
I found out today that I re-tore it. I am incredibly distraught and I just feel emotionally exhausted. I can't believe this has happened.
Basically I'm just wondering if anyone can give me advice on this. Has anyone else re-torn theirs right away??
I'm also super concerned about how my rehab will go. For this first surgery, I was doing PT beforehand to make sure I had as much flexibility as possible. Right now, I've had a lot of scar tissue and am still only bending at about 45-50 degrees. Is this going to make my recovery even harder the second time around?
Looking for any advice/stories I can get!

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
Re: Re-tore ACL 4 weeks post-op
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am new here in terms of posting but have been reading a lot of these posts in the last few months.
I tore my ACL in a soccer game at the end of February, had a reconstruction on April 4th. They were able to just re-attach the ACL since it was a complete tear. (So I did not have any grafts done).
I had a fall last week and I immediately knew something was wrong. I felt the same way I did back in February.
I found out today that I re-tore it. I am incredibly distraught and I just feel emotionally exhausted. I can't believe this has happened.
Basically I'm just wondering if anyone can give me advice on this. Has anyone else re-torn theirs right away??
I'm also super concerned about how my rehab will go. For this first surgery, I was doing PT beforehand to make sure I had as much flexibility as possible. Right now, I've had a lot of scar tissue and am still only bending at about 45-50 degrees. Is this going to make my recovery even harder the second time around?
Looking for any advice/stories I can get!

HI Claire
Sorry to hear this. Recovery from a second recon will be harder I would imagine, yes, but then if its fixed properly it will be worth it.
Try and focus on the positives (there are still some) for example your other ligaments are ok, it could have been worse etc etc

Most importantly, what does your surgeon say about this? and what is he or she planning to do?
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

support