Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: CPM Machine after OAT surgery  (Read 161 times)

Offline FolsomSoccerMom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
CPM Machine after OAT surgery
« on: May 06, 2018, 10:13:53 PM »
My 17 year old daughter had OAT surgery to repair a chondral defect on May 3rd. She is a highly competitive soccer player supposed to play at the collegiate level this year. The doctor said to expect 6 months recovery but we are looking for an accelerated protocol to do it in 3-4 months. I know the biggest thing to recovery is keeping range of motion and really want to get her a CPM machine. However, her surgeon has said no CPM machine is necessary. I feel this is largely due to cost and not necessarily the best for her (This is an inhouse managed insurance in the United States) Especially since I read CPM machines are part of almost every sports medicine protocol I have read after surgery.

I am thinking of buying this on our own used but how easy is it to use this without training? Are there exercises she can be doing without it?  We don't see physical therapy for 2 weeks. I am going to discuss an augmented protocol with the Physical Therapist but am not holding out hope they will change it because of the type of insurance we have which will be overly conservative. Has anyone done this on their own? While I want to help my daughter make it back for this season and not have to red shirt I DON'T want to hurt her worse or anything. If anyone has a protocol they can share I would greatly appreciate it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5400208/

Offline BezProblemów

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
Re: CPM Machine after OAT surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 02:33:15 AM »
I did some brief research on CPMs a while back and found that their efficacy is questionable but that they are still widely used.

Also, I would urge you to reconsider trying to accelerate your daughter's rehab timeline.  She is 17 and had a major knee surgery.  She needs to get another good 80 years out of that knee.  I wouldn't risk it.  Her knee needs time to heal.

Offline Geronimo

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 8
Re: CPM Machine after OAT surgery
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 05:12:10 AM »
YO  (mother) are looking at accelerated protocol. Your daughter doesn't understand consequences of knee injury if it doesn't heal properly her life is screwed and she won't dream about competitive soccer anymore because her dream will be to walk a few yards without pain. Ditch soccer for now and listen to your doctor, otherwise you may screw your daughter's life.

support