Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Worried-Knee unstable 2 weeks after acl reconstruction  (Read 525 times)

Offline K8slov

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Worried-Knee unstable 2 weeks after acl reconstruction
« on: May 03, 2018, 10:58:06 pm »
Hi

I had an acl reconstruction two and a half weeks ago (hamstring graft). Since the swelling has gone down (not completely) my knee feels a lot less stable. It has 'buckled' several times which feels a bit like it used to pre op. The buckling happens going upstairs, changing direction and stepping up a step (coming into the house for example).

I'm really worried that this isn't right. I have my first Physio tomorrow but have just found this site and wondered if anyone else had experienced similar? Its a horrible feeling which is making me really panicky and anxious. So much so I'm sleeping downstairs because I can't face the stairs (top step is my nemesis because my handrail doesn't quite reach far enough.

Doing my basic Physio I was given post op several times per day. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Offline Hill Girl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: Worried-Knee unstable 2 weeks after acl reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 12:56:26 pm »
Hi, just seen you've not had any replies to this.  Recovering from this op can be a worrying time - it was for me, full of anxieties and "what ifs!"

I hope that the weakness you are feeling is due to muscle weakness at this stage but obviously you should discuss with your physio (and surgeon if there are major concerns). 

Do not underestimate the trauma your muscles have been through/how they shut down in response to even quite short periods of inactivity/less activity/trauma.  How weak/strong they are will also depend on what state they were in when you went into your operation.  Even with a repaired ACL your quads, glutes, hamstrings etc need to be strong and you have to work away steadily/progressively at regainining and building strength. 

Even though I thought I'd learnt my lesson and done my rehab diligently when recovering from previous injuries/operation, having my ACL repair taught me even more about how important this is and how hard (but carefully!) you have to work.  I am stronger than before as a result.  A good physio who understands the op and supports/motivates you in this way is vital, so much so that I threw a bit of money at private physio in the longer term and it was hugely beneficial.  A gym bike at home was also particularly helpful for me (can you borrow one or get one second hand?) as it meant I could work away on this daily, helping flexibility and strength - as well as my sanity!

It's good you are already underway with your rehab and I hope that since your message you have been able to discuss your rehab regime and worries with your physio.

Good luck!
Mar 2006 ACL rupture skiing.  Bone bruise.  No ACLR - lots of rehab got me back to the hills.

Feb 2016 Medial meniscus bucket handle tear left knee, c75% removed.

ACLR (hamstring autograph) 03/17

Patellofemoral/trochlear wear in the other knee

support