Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Please explain MRI results - three areas of concern  (Read 152 times)

Offline Monkeybunny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please explain MRI results - three areas of concern
« on: April 22, 2018, 02:53:53 PM »
Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Background:  51 yo female, eight time marathoner, active, struggles with weight.  Recently lost 25 lbs. to get to 28.5 BMI, intend to lose 25-30 more lbs.  Very good health.

MRI report, shortened to most important points:

Menisci:  An irregular incomplete radial tear partially transects the medial meniscus posterior root.  Associated peripheral extrusion and degeneration of the body of the meniscus.  Full-thickness hyaline cartilage loss at the posterior weightbearing portion of the medial femoral condyle, 19mm AP x 14mm transverse.  Mild associated subchondral edema.  9 x 11 mm area of full-thickness chondral loss at the medial portion of the medial tibial plateau with associated subchondral edema. 

Patellofemoral:  Moderate to marked chondral thinning at the upper portions of the medial patellar facet and median patellar ridge.

Osseous/bone marrow:  Slight cortical depression at the medial portion of the medial tibial plateau with associated subchondral edema.  Stress reaction edema in the inferomedial portion of the medial femoral condyle.

In addition to any insights you can provide, had a couple of questions:

Does the chondral thinning in the medial patellar facet disqualify me from a pkr?

I believe I have bone on bone cartilage loss.  Would the location and/or size of the lesions indicate a partial or total replacement operation or due to my age should we try cartilage regeneration (microfracture, oats, etc.)

support