Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain after partial removal of fat pad  (Read 469 times)

Offline esmereldaxx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain after partial removal of fat pad
« on: April 19, 2018, 05:53:45 pm »
Hi, I had a knee arthroscopy in July 2017 and had a partial removal of my fat pad in my left knee. It was better for a couple of months but now I am in the same amount of pain that I was before the surgery. I have been referred to the hospital again for another consultancy but would love to know if this has happened to anybody else?!

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 345
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Pain after partial removal of fat pad
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 06:05:48 pm »
How’s the tracking of your kneecap? Have you been assessed by a knowledgeable Physio?
I believe the trimmed fatpad can be replaced by scar tissue so if whatever caused the impingement previously (maltracking often) hasn’t been addressed, the I would assume the problem could arise again

This physio is a UK-based expert on the patella and the fat pad is one of her particular interests

http://clairepatella.com/the-infrapatellar-hoffas-fat-pad-explained/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:38:53 pm by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
More tears and wear, scope planned in Jan 2019 to tidy up

Offline esmereldaxx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 07:31:02 pm »
I had physio for about two years and the impingement was mistaken for conditions such as patella tendinitis, so I'm not sure whether its best to try a different physio or just go for another surgery on both knees!

Offline James NZ

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 05:57:02 am »
I had the fat pad and plica trimmed almost a year ago. Sorry to say I've been far worse ever since. There's always hope tho and I'm constantly searching for options to get better naturally

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 10:28:36 pm »
Have had 3 surgeries on my right knee, my 1st scope was in November 2009 for anterior knee pain and catching, was not able to run anymore as a competitive long-distance runner. Had a diagnostic scope and had my fat pad trimmed and medial plica excision. Was slower than expected recovery of 18 months before I was able to run again with a cortisone injection pre-op and post-op.

To cut a long story short ended up having chronic patella tendonitis caused by scarring of the fat pad with anterior interval release surgery (AIR) scope #2 and again for scope #3 with decompression of the patella tendon and an LMR that did not show up on my MRI scan. Recovery is slowly improving with pain not too bad apart from around the 3 incisions that still swollen at the bottom of my kneecap. From 2 crutches to 1 crutch and now do not need any so signs of progressing slowly.

Good luck try not be to get too down about all the bad experiences of KG members some do make a good recovery will find that member with ongoing knee problems join up KG bulletin board.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:32:04 pm by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline esmereldaxx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 12:12:12 pm »
I was recently scheduled another hospital appointment but it then got cancelled after the hospital decided i should see the head of the knee department as they are still having trouble diagnosing me!

Offline Vespa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 10:56:34 pm »
All-

I have been following this site for a bit and finally posting. Similar issue. Here is my story:

I am a 44 year old elite level triathlete and I live in California. Minor fall on my mountain bike in July 2017, had some bruising but didn't think too much about it. Had to stop running for a week but otherwise didn't really notice any pain. In retrospect, certain movements would cause pain and my muscles were progressively getting sore and tired in different places. Finally in November 2017, I got sharp pains in my knee while running in the snow. Symptoms match fat pad impingement exactly. MRI showed more of patellar tendon damage and cartilage damage under the knee cap (which I think was a result of fat pad damage and the fat pad lifting up the knee cap). The "good knee" started hurting too.  Everything got so bad, I was using a walker to get around and could barely stand more than one minute. Only swimming (with kicking) at this point and doing PT. Cortisone shot had no effect.

Then I discovered the McConnel fat pad taping on YouTube (Physio had never heard of it)! Have been taping every day since. This allowed me to do some  mellow downhill skiing (which oddly seems to be one of the better exercises for this injury as you don't have to straighten your knee).

Knee scope in February (medial plica removal, smoothing of cartilage under knee cap and supposedly some of the fat pad was removed). Didn't seem to really be recovering from surgery then I got this major sinus infection so they put me on fairly strong oral steroids for 3 weeks. The knee started to improve to the point I could bike a bit and jog a bit with my new puppy. But I still could never stand or walk normally. Then the steroids started to wear off and things went backwards.

I am able to maintain a certain level but this is all I can do: Walk one mile or less, easy bike 4 miles or less, swim with a pool buoy (no kicking). Can't wear tights as it puts too much pressure on the fat pad. As soon as I take the tape off my knees, the fat pad begins to swell. I have ripped off layers of skin from all this taping. Can not stand normally so my back is getting tweaked again.  This is not sustainable!

Sounds like many of you have had similar issues and multiple surgeries. See my surgeon again in a couple weeks. Afraid I need more of the fat pad removed. Not sure what too do. If anyone has had a good result after having this problem, would love to hear it. Thanks for listening!

support