Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Hardware Removal  (Read 163 times)

Offline Ray22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Patella Hardware Removal
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:08:32 PM »
Hi Guys,
I've spent the last 9 months reading so many posts on this website but never actually registered to share my story.
I'm a 28 year old female and suffered a communited fracture to my left Patella on the 12th of July 2017. I left work and was walking home when I tripped on slabs and fell, landing on my left knee right on the corner of a step. I ended up having ORIF two days later and the surgeon fixed my knee with three screws and a figure 8 tension band wire. I spent 13 weeks in an immobiliser brace. To say this really took a knock to my confidence is a massive understatement and I would only leave the house to attend doctors appointments or physiotherapy. Physio went really slow for the first 7 weeks and the progress seemed far behind but then my ROM really improved . I did really struggle with straight leg raises and they were excruciating, almost as if my kneecap was being pulled downwards, my surgeon determined that it was the hardware but said he wouldn't remove them until the bone was healed.
Fast forward to the 14th of April 2018 and I have just had the hardware removed two days ago  ;D I had a general anasthetic and spent about 15 hours in hospital but the pain from this surgery is still quite bad, but not as bad as the original surgery. I was actually able to do a straight leg raise today with minimal pain  :) I do have to use crutches for a week or so as advised by the surgeon, but feel having the metal removed will finally allow me to properly exercise my quads which I haven't been able to do. I will keep you all updated.
Reading all these posts helped me find some light at the end of the tunnel as I think coming back from a knee injury can be a long slow road.Any questions regarding the surgery please feel free to ask and thank you all  :)

Offline carriewentzell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Patella Hardware Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 05:10:57 PM »
Hello Ray22. I also had fulkerson osteotomy about 5 months ago, but not after sustaining an injury like you did.  I am in my 5th month and still have my hardware in tacked.  I started to look up this surgery to see what other people who had it are saying because I have become very frustrated with the slow recovery.  Prior to surgery I worked out everyday.  I mean I was doing Kickboxing, TRX, HIIT classes.  I was striving to do Parkour which I planned to do but my knees have been a point of contention for years.  Finally in 2016 after some pointless PT the insurance company approved an MRI and as suspected I had a real issue.  Both kneecaps out of alignment. Here is the reason for my pain, but what was the solution, major knee surgery.   It took me until Nov 2017 to have the first operation.  It was without a doubt one of the most painful things I have ever experienced.  Now 5 + months later and I am just wondering when I will be able to do normal things again.  I forget to mention I can't even climb stairs properly yet.  Just one foot at a time.  My left knee screams in pain when bent and holding my weight.

Unlike most people that have this surgery I am a little older 38.  From what I have read it typically is recommended or at least preformed for teens to early twenties.  I would love to hear some success stories about anyone who had fulkerson osteotomy and is now back better than ever without pain.  This would be of wonderful uplifting help!   Good luck Ray22.  Post again.  BTW I get my screws out the end of May.  Hopefully that won't be too painful for me.   

support