Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: hamstring pain caused by knee injury?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline richrod

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
hamstring pain caused by knee injury?
« on: April 03, 2004, 05:05:52 AM »
hi everybody im going to see an  os on tuesday but was wondering if anybody knew whether or not a knee injury could cause extreme hamstring tightness and pain on the inside of my leg. i also have tenderness and pain from the medial side of my left knee. i really anxious to see the os. but i figured someone might know whats kinda going on thanks

Offline SigSauer5150

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: hamstring pain caused by knee injury?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 06:10:01 AM »
Well Rich you just explained another thing that i have, the "sprain" that i have is causing extreme tightness in my hammy, just before i hurt my knee i could put my palms to the floor, now i cant get to much further than the tops of my shoes without telling people to watch out somethings gonna pop and they might wanna step back..................................Good luck
1996 R-knee hyperextension/meniscus tear 2004 L-knee scope/meniscal tear and thermal shrinking

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 01:32:40 PM »
The Hamstring is a major muscle, you could injur it during a fall or a knee injury, you could also get it pretty sore and tight from the favoring and not using your leg properly.  :-/   I have lot's of stretches I do for my Hamstring to try and keep that from happening, as I find the tighter and more sore my hamstring is the more unstable my knee is.
Hope that helped
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline jeff138

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 07:45:15 AM »
Depending on the degree of your knee injury, you could still be collecting fluid in the joint (edema). This fluid could either put pressure on the hamstrings and quadriceps, or actually contribute to edema in those muscle compartments, as well.  Follow the RICE treatment for acute injury (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and see if it doesn't help your hamstring, as well as your knee. Good luck!
Chondromalacia since age 11
MCL/ACL repair L knee 79
6 scopes (3 each) in 2002 and 2003
Bilateral replacements 4/20/04

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 04:01:30 PM »
Hamstring pain is quite common in knee injuries.  This is due to a reflexive tightening that occurs in an attempt to splint the knee aganst further injury.  This is also known as muscle guarding which is one of the reasons why most stability tests are the most accurate in the first 5 minutes after an injury.  This is before muscle guarding sets in.  Someone had mentioned edema as a cause, but the hamstrings are not affected by fluid the same way that the quads are, they have a significantly higher threshold in terms of fluid acculumation, and fluid would not cause the tightening.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline emma

• Forum Faithful
  • My dogs got better knees than me!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 01:09:23 PM »
Hi Richrod

I've been suffering from a very similar pain, but mostly in my calf muscle. I'm very intersted to know what your physio had to say about this???
Cause the pain is unbelivable and keeps me awake at night, I've tryed everything from Icing, elevation, tablets, deep freeze, stretching, daily massage it feels like theres not much left so if you have anything new or any reasons I'd love to know
I feel that  this is down to 20 years of patella dislocations to both knees and the compenstating through the dislocation, through the recovery and years of being protective over my knees!
My physio has puts supports in my shoes just under the arches, and i have noticed some all be it slight improvement.

Take care sweetie
Emma :)
Spontaneous dislocations to both kneecaps for 20 years!
Bilateral Arthroscopies - Awaiting Op's Right knee on 23/9/05
Left knee in Jan 06