Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Medial Meniscus Tear + Marathon Training = What to do?  (Read 182 times)

Offline dinermonkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Medial Meniscus Tear + Marathon Training = What to do?
« on: April 12, 2018, 10:03:06 PM »
First-time poster, so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Long story short, I was on a run about 2.5+ months ago and got a quick jolt of pain on my inner leg/knee area during foot strike. I landed a bit wrong dodging a puddle and assumed I had pulled a muscle or just twisted something.

Fast forward a few weeks and while I was still keeping up my activities with no problems or pain (aside from sporadic discomfort around the house in the morning), I decided to hit up the doctor to be safe as I'm planning on running the Chicago Marathon this year. MRI was done and it came back as a "focal tear of the periphery of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus." Doc said he would err on the side of surgery to ensure longevity for my knee.

I've already had surgery on my other knee and don't want to go under the knife if it's not completely necessary. As I said above, I had kept up with my running with no issues until the MRI results (I've since stopped running just to give my knee some time off) and never had debilitating issues like inability to walk, bear weight, etc. If I do feel any discomfort, it's much less severe than it was when it first happened, so I'd like to stay positive and think it's healing.

Has anyone avoided surgery and gone the path of PT/strength training to get over a meniscus tear? I'm not too proud to opt for surgery/miss the race, but considering I can still be active with no issue, I'm at a crossroads on how to proceed. Any insight is appreciated.

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 342
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Medial Meniscus Tear + Marathon Training = What to do?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »
How old are you?

Removing meniscus seems bizarre to reduce risk to the knee as menisectomy strongly correlated with arthritis. Id ask him to explain what he means.

If its not locked or unstable, nor indeed painful or troublesome Id avoid surgery and consider activity reduction / change. Posterior tears more common in degenerate meniscus and trimming will often be followed by more tears. It likely wont heal depending on where it is and the state of the tissue but could well be settling. Continue resting and get a good PT

Theres good meniscus stuff in the learning portfolio

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline dinermonkey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Medial Meniscus Tear + Marathon Training = What to do?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 12:12:51 AM »
How old are you?

Removing meniscus seems bizarre to reduce risk to the knee as menisectomy strongly correlated with arthritis. Id ask him to explain what he means.

If its not locked or unstable, nor indeed painful or troublesome Id avoid surgery and consider activity reduction / change. Posterior tears more common in degenerate meniscus and trimming will often be followed by more tears. It likely wont heal depending on where it is and the state of the tissue but could well be settling. Continue resting and get a good PT

Theres good meniscus stuff in the learning portfolio

Good luck :)

Thank you for the quick response. I'm 33 and also feel like making surgery the last resort is priority. I've stopped running for the time being and am doing nightly stretches/exercises and riding my bike when I go stir crazy. If the pain hadn't gone down or stayed the same, I'd be a bit more inclined to think about surgery, but considering the lack of swelling and pain, I want to continue down this road. I've also started to understand just how underdeveloped my gluten were as well :(