Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 11 weeks post Grade 2 MCL injury  (Read 219 times)

Offline mrsship

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
11 weeks post Grade 2 MCL injury
« on: April 05, 2018, 05:09:36 PM »
Hi everyone,

Hope you're all doing well.

This is my first post & have just registered as a forum user today.

I had a skiing accident back in January and subsequently ended up with a grade 2 MCL tear. My rehabilitation didn't begin until 4 weeks after the injury occurred (don't ask!  ::) )
My physiotherapist finally discharged me last week and there's been a definite improvement now that I've spent the last couple of months building up strength and working on range of motion.
However, the pain hasn't subsided much and I don't know if this is normal..? My doctor hasn't been very helpful so I thought it might be nice to chat with people who have suffered the same injury or had a similar experience.

Thanks,

RJ  :)

Offline BornToRun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 11 weeks post Grade 2 MCL injury
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »
Hi OP, wondering how you are getting on now? My MCL sprain was only a grade 1, but I still had medial pain six weeks later. That was despite physio and wearing a knee support to allow it to heal. I was convinced it hadnít healed, but when they went in for my ACLr the surgeon said it had actually healed nicely.
I understand that MCL sprains tend to be painful for a long time. That said, some of my pain may have been the bone bruising, or the lack of an ACL resulting in pressure on the MCL. It could also have been the small meniscus tear that was discovered and repaired in theatre, and which didnít show on the MRI.
On which note, if you are still having pain, it might be worth getting it checked out in case something else is irritated in there. Did you have an MRI at the time? If so, do you have the images? You could take those to a dr for a second opinion?
Fingers crossed for you, and very best of luck!
6 Mar 2018 - skiing fall, ACL rupture, MCL and LCL sprain, lateral meniscus tear and bone bruising
13 Apr 2018 - ACL reconstruction with hamstring autograft, small meniscus repair