Author Topic: Meniscus removal success  (Read 2812 times)

Offline brandonwsknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Meniscus removal success
« on: April 02, 2004, 04:01:33 AM »
Hey guys,
  This is my first post on here after visiting the board the past week or so to find out more about my surgery.  Thanks for all of your input.  It was very helpful and informative for me.  I had my surgery today and my doc remove about 1/3 or my lateral meniscus and shaped up the cartiledge under my knee.  So far, everything has been great.  I can walk without crutches (albeit very gingerly) but thats still great for only 8 hrs post-op.  Anyways, I just thought I'd post something positive on here since there seems to be more negative posts than anything.  Feel free to ask questions or make comments.  Thanks.

Offline Zocolo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Meniscus removal success
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 04:07:50 AM »
Good news about the crutches!  I'm hoping to not need them.  Nothing worse than living in a 3 level townhouse and bumming around on crutches   ;D

Congrats on your success.  Keep us updated.

Offline unsurewhattodo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 04:31:53 AM »
Hi Brandonwsknee,

It was encouraging to read your recent posting. I'm trying to decide if I should have some arthroscopy done for a potential meniscus tear. After reading most of the negative comments here, I'm becoming more and hesitant to undergo this option. I'd find it helpful if you would share some of your specifics--age, sports, how you might have gotten injured, etc.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Unsurewhattodo

Offline brandonwsknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 05:20:07 PM »
Unsure,
     I'm 20 years old with a history of playing football and basketball (mostly during high school).  However, about a year ago I was playing some pickup basketball  for a few consecutive weeks and my injury must have happened during this.  I didn't notice a single "injury" per say, but during that time my knee began to hurt and progressively got worse.  I'm a big guy (6' 3" - 300 lbs) so this might have had something to do with the injury as well.  I'm in relatively good shape though with normal blood pressure, pulse, no allergies, etc.  I'm now approaching 24 hrs post-op and there has been relatively little change since yesterday.  My knee is still really sore but I can hobble around w/out crutches to go to the bathroom and stuff.  I've kept my knee elevated and iced since I've been home as well which has helped with the swelling.  Hope this helps.

Offline brandonwsknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 07:15:28 AM »
Well, it's now been 3 full days since my operation.  I have to say, I am very pleased with the progress so far.  I didn't use my crutches at all today and am beginning to walk with less of a limp.  I really think when I took the bandage off yesterday and stopped icing and elevating my knee constantly it made a big difference.  I know that elevation and ice are important for the first 48 hours or so, but I think after that they can have a negative effect.  My knee is much less stiff now that I've stopped with the ice and began walking on it more.  Things are going really well and I meet with my OS on Wednesday to discuss the surgery and post-op physical therapy.  

Offline brandonwsknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 07:57:46 AM »
It's now been 6 days post-op and I visited my OS today for the first time since surgery.  He said everything was looking great and sent me to Physical Therapy twice a week for 3 weeks to get the strength back in my knee.  I've been very pleasantly surprised with my recovery so far.  I'm now walking almost limp-free and my knee is already feeling better than it did pre-surgery.  I'm really excited to be so close to being able to be 100% for the first time in over a year!  Anyways, I'll check back with you guys later.

Offline ahowarda

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 05:22:44 AM »
I was wondering ,How long You have to take off work since surgery.And what kinda work you do?

I am up for surgery in 3 weeks.

Offline brandonwsknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 09:13:38 AM »
I'm actually a full-time student in college, so I don't actually "work".  However, I had my surgery on Thursday, took Friday off, and was back at school on Monday without crutches or anything.  This is with a meniscus removal and not a repair.  I understand the repair recovery is much longer.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 09:34:00 AM by brandonwsknee »

Offline gr8fit

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 12:38:59 AM »
Hi Brandonwsknee!  

Thanks for your post.  I had some of my lateral meniscus cleaned up 2 years ago and am now having trouble again.  I see my doc on May 4th.  I will ask him about partial removal.  I've learned so much from this site.  Everyone has been really supportive.  I'm glad that you are doing so well!!
3/22/02: RKScope.Grade 4 Chondromalacia patella Microfracture.
09 & 11: L ankle Scope
9/17/09: RKScope.
11/5/09: LKScope.
2/24/10: Bilateral PFJR
12/13: L-spine Laminotomy
3/31/14: RTKR
5/28/14: LTKR
7/23/14: LTHR
pending RTHR

Offline pjays29

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 07:39:54 PM »
I'm on day three after having 1/3 of my meniscus, removed on my right knee.  Early on day 2, I stopped using the crutches.  Today I notice that I can swing my leg and stride quite normally as long as I walk slowly.  The swelling has gone down considerably and the pain is minimal as long as I rest it often.   I plan to continue elevation, ice and some moving about in the house for the next few days.  It's going so well that I don't want to have a setback.  The site has been great.  Let's keep talking and swap notes after the real test--going back to our athletic lives.  I'm still a little apprehensive about the long term.  My sport is tennis and my concern is lateral movement.  Might mean some lifestyle changes.  
Had 30 percent removal of meniscus on May 6, 2004.  Had horizontal tear on posterior horn of medial meniscus.  (Kid stuff compared to many on this site!)

Offline brandonwsknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 09:56:12 AM »
Hey guys.  It's been a while since I've posted anything so I thought I would catch everyone up to speed on my recovery.  It's been almost 4 months since my surgery (April 1st) and I would say I'm as close to being 100% as you can be without quite being 100%.  My recovery has been great.  I'm back to playing basketball, tennis, whatever without any real pain in my knee.  The minescotomy was a great success.  If anyone has any questions about my recovery or anything else just let me know.

Offline pjays29

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2004, 09:39:41 PM »
Wanted to offer an update now that I'm at the 3 month point of recovery, 30 percent removal of my meniscus for a flap tear, medial posterior horn.

Well, at times it seems like it will never get better so I feel for all of you in those stages.  I also feel for everyone on the brink of surgery or in the "wait and see" mode.  

I'm 51, active, in good shape and had about two months of therapy post surgery.  You can check out my history on the board starting with total anxiety before the surgery to my moaning about the pain of therapy. Someone posted a message to me early on saying that I was going to be just fine since my case was so simple and routine.  Well, now I believe that person.

Just got back from a two week vacation and that's when I started to forget the injury and go up and down stairs with ease, take long walks on the beach, etc.  I still feel it when I stand still too long or do too much. I've finished the PT phase and started with a personal trainer with a PT background to help me get back to my sports.  (Tennis, walking, weight training, swimming)

At this point I can do 20 minutes of cardio exercise and up to an hour of brisk walking.  Stationary bike and treadmill with light resistance or up to a 7% incline is fine but I am going slow with the eliptical trainer adding about a minute or two a week to my program.  Still not wearing heels, prefer stretching my leg out to being cramped in a small space like in a theater, still using ice after exercise.  

Anyway, I am making good progress but you have to work at it in a slow, planned sort of way.  I feel certain I will reach my goal of returning to regular workouts, but I have decided not to ski or run.  Don't want to do this again, if I can avoid it.  I wish you all great patience--that's the most important thing.
Had 30 percent removal of meniscus on May 6, 2004.  Had horizontal tear on posterior horn of medial meniscus.  (Kid stuff compared to many on this site!)

Advertisement