Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRI Results help  (Read 533 times)

Offline Deigecarroll

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
MRI Results help
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:24:07 PM »
Just got the results of my MRI - I am anxious...surgery or no surgery.

Diagnosis Codes:
ExaminationIMPRESSION:
1. Stable minimal free margin blunting of the posterior horn of the medial
meniscus. Stable minimal free margin blunting and free margin irregularity of
the body of the lateral meniscus and diminutive lateral meniscal root.
2. Status post ACL repair with intact ACL graft.
3. Postsurgical changes patellar tendon and anterior prepatellar extensor
mechanism.
4. Postsurgical changes of the middle third of the medial femoral condyle
consistent with prior OATS procedure with mild cartilage surface irregularity
and heterogeneous signal without a full-thickness defect stable compared to
prior exam.
5. Postsurgical changes of the anterior third of the lateral femoral condyle
consistent with prior OATS procedure with cartilage thinning, surface
irregularity and fissuring with full-thickness defects.
6. Moderate bone marrow edema medial femoral condyle.
7. Small joint effusion.
8. Medial and lateral infrapatellar scarring.
9. Thickened medial suprapatellar plica.

Offline ZeeKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MRI Results help
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 09:23:31 AM »
So starting with your question of surgery or no surgery that depends on a few things and is ultimately between a surgeon and you. They like to try conservative treatments from rest, medication, physical therapy then surgery as a last resort. Also your pain level has a lot to do with it too. Are things tolerable for you right now? One thing I've learned is the knee is never the same after a surgery.

Looking at your MRI report it reads quite similar to mine particularly #4 & 5. How long ago was your OATS procedure? It takes quite awhile to heal from that. There are a lot of things to be expected such as some mild swelling including in the bone either where the transplant was taken or inserted, scar tissue, and some thinning of the oats plugs. It took me over a year to get that painful bone bruising to settle down. That pain is intense! All in all it doesn't sound too bad but an MRI is a snapshot at a single moment in time and doesn't truly diagnose your movement patterns or account for what pain and symptoms you're feeling.
4/2015 - L knee meniscal repair and surprise microfx
9/2015 - L knee OATS, meniscal trim (or not according to the new Dr?), lateral release
3/2018 - L knee meniscal cyst decompression, microfx, chondroplasty, scar tissue removal

Offline Deigecarroll

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 03:47:11 PM »
I am 5 months post op OATS and meniscus root repair.  Once I started weight bearing and stationary biking the pain kicked in.  The pain is intense - sometimes I can't walk.  Going up and down stairs is difficult.   Prior to the surgery I was running 30 miles a week.    My concern is the MRI doesn't show all.   Going into the surgery my surgeon thought it would be a minor procedure - when I woke up I found a different story.  He really couldn't see until he was in there.   I am wishing I never had this surgery - I think it set me up for a TKR and I am only 47 and like to be extremely active.    What do you do for the pain? I just started Celebrex.  I had another surgeon look at my MRI and he said my knee is a mess. 

I want to walk and run pain free.   

Offline ZeeKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 06:19:02 AM »
It sounds like you're onto a better path by getting a second opinion! Maybe ask them to show you the issues on your actual MRI to get a better understanding of the issues. It took me a long time (9ish to 12 months) to get back to those activities and even then they were never truly the same as before my injury and surgeries. Fingers crossed a new set of eyes will have something better to offer! The tkr results seem to be well received on the forum. And they are lasting longer and longer. So I wouldn't put the cart before the horse and look down on it just yet.
4/2015 - L knee meniscal repair and surprise microfx
9/2015 - L knee OATS, meniscal trim (or not according to the new Dr?), lateral release
3/2018 - L knee meniscal cyst decompression, microfx, chondroplasty, scar tissue removal

Offline Deigecarroll

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 08:01:05 PM »
Thanks - I am going May 7th to get another opinion from a reputable surgeon.   A little more about my knee.   I actually had my ACL reconstructed three times over the course of 20 years and it has done so well.  2 years ago this surgeon went in to trim meniscus and my knee has never be the same. The OATS and meniscus root repair was a complete surprise.   Mentally I wasn't ready for this recovery.    It is funny I can ride the stationary bike with resistance for an hour but can't walk.  You can run w/ a TKR can you?   That's my love. 

Thank you for sharing with me.    I know this recovery is a tough and long one. 

support