Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hello everyone - shattered left patella - very emotional  (Read 338 times)

Offline jbopp123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello everyone - shattered left patella - very emotional
« on: March 30, 2018, 05:46:42 PM »
Hello, Iím a 49 year old female who lives in the US. I have never used a blog before so please forgive me if Iím posting in the wrong section. I recently slipped on water in my garage and fractured my left patella in 6 pieces. Just had surgery 3 days ago and they put in pins and wired the kneecap back together. I am also on cold therapy treatment. They are telling me that I need to move around. I have a huge Imoblizer on that slips down every time I stand up and I cannot put any weight on the leg. I have no upper body strength due to Breast cancer several years ago where I had to have a double mastectomy and then Chemo.

So my question is how in the heck does everyone get around on their own after this happens. I am currently bedridden and cannot even lift my leg without help. My help will be gone in about 3 days and I will be on my own at home. Iím starting to panic!!!  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Iím so mad at myself for not paying attention in the garage and Iím have some pretty emotional days.  :'(

Jacque
03/27/18 left knee patella ORIF surgery
03/22/18 closed fracture of left patella (6 pieces)

Offline Celina1989

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Hello everyone - shattered left patella - very emotional
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 06:37:26 PM »
Hello Jacque, I am just wishing you a lot of strenght and a good recovery. You have been to a lot already I haven't had a fractured patella so I don't know what the rules are compaired to taking rest and recovery. If in general I would say to start gentle exercise for the quadriceps to get some strenght in m. Are you able to use your other leg to lift your injured leg up? Or maybe also with slight help from the upper body? Can you use crutches? One of the advices i got was to get an office chair to move around, might that be an option?

I hope somebody with more (and better) ideas help you. This forum is very supportive so you have came to the right place as I recently discovered. Lots of luck and speedy recovery, Celina

Offline youngbodyoldjoints

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 04:36:10 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about this situation that you're in. I have a couple pieces of advice that might hopefully help make things more manageable for you:

1) Contact your surgeon's office for assistance with extending your home help. That is what visiting nurse associates (VNA) services are for- the surgeons don't want patients falling and reinjuring alone at home. Emphasis your limits with basic self care, and call your insurance to pitch a fit if necessary. Don't let them take your home services before you can function adequately alone
2) Contact the supplier of your immobilizer and ask them to send a rep to adjust it to better fit your leg, or ask for your PT to help with this during your first visit if soon
3) Get a walker to use for now while non-weightbearing as it helps with stability

I hope that one of two of these is helpful for you, thinking healing thoughts!
2010- L knee ACL recon
2011- L knee ACL recon
2012- L knee scope
2014- L knee scope
2016- L hip scope
2017- R knee PCL recon
2018- L lower leg peroneal nerve release
2018- L knee lysis of adhesions

Offline Mina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 07:16:19 AM »
Hi Jacque,
I am so sorry you are in such a bad way. I am also new to sharing on a forum but after my accident, I was seeking information as I was totally lost and miserable.
I know exactly what you mean about the immobilizer, it was hurting my incision, as it slid down my leg. It was heavy and clunky. I am a petite female, so I ordered one appropriate for my height, online. I would ditch the crutches and get a walker, as I did because the crutches would hurt my upper body very much and I didn't have the strength either. I am on week 7, and trust me, things will get better for you. You must eat well and make sure to take your vitamins. I've learned some things that may help you: Treat your bad leg like luggage for a while, Lol, simply grab one of the straps, make sure it's secure and lift your leg and position it as needed. I even used my bath-robe belt to tie it around my immobilizer, to lift my leg when I needed to. On the bed or chair and back down. I did this all the time. Get wet wipes since you can't bathe for a while. keep bottles of water and snacks at reach, along with your meds. Place your leg on a pillow and do foot pumps, which will help with circulation and mobility. Do that often, it's highly recommended. I cried often and felt helpless. This is normal. If you can get a nurse, then do so and know, that you will get better. As soon as you are given the ok to begin PT, you will be well on your way to feeling like yourself again. I hope I was able to help you. No one prepared me for what I have endured thus far. I wish you a quick and lasting recovery. Just take it slow and steady. :)  :) Mina

Offline 135jaxin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:44:00 PM »
Dear Jaque,

It has been 11 months since my surgery from a shattered knee cap. I am 62 years old. I have my strength back but still have knee pain.  I was walking within two days of my surgery with immobilizer.  At first I used a walker.  I think crutches are harder.  When getting in and out of bed you need a strap or a belt to lift your leg on and off the bed. It sound like you could use some help at home for a while. Going to the bathroom is hard as you have to keep your leg straight.  luckily my counter is right near the toilet so i used it to push myselt up. Keep everything you need at your bedside.  Sleeping is difficult.  You will be asked to start bending your knee at various angles while lying down.  If you want your mobility to return paractice alot.  It takes about three months for the bone to heal.  I was not given PT until a month after that. Which as I look back was not good.  Be sure you start right away when the bone is healed.  I wish you the best.  It's not easy but it will slowly get better.

Donna

Offline tilly4

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 07:15:20 AM »
I truly feel for you, Jacquie. I shattered my patella into 37 pieces 9 years ago, when I was 61. I too am an American.  Doing anything was so draining. Aside from the pain, fatigue was the hardest part. I was not given the option to use a walker. So,I used crutches. Dealing with those was part of the reason I was so tired. I had a groin to ankle brace to immobilize my knee. Iím not sure if thatís what you mean by an immobilized. Itís very important that you keep your knee immobilized. So, if what you were given doesnít do that, insist they adjust or replace it. I lived alone through all of that. My insurance provided some visiting nurses, but only in the beginning. Donít be shy. Ask friends for help. I hope you are getting adequate pain meds. Also, be aware that going through this can be very depressing. Donít beat yourself up for slipping. It is what it is. Make sure and do whatever they ask you to do in physical therapyó probably the most important part of a successful recovery. Find a really good PT..  Hopefully one who can make you laugh, as it is painful. It is a long haul, but you will get through it. Take it one day at a time.

I had a good outcome. I think a big part of the reason was that I pushed myself to do things, even if it was miserable. For example, I took long walks on my crutches, rather than just lie around in bed. I actually had to sleep on the couch because my bed was too high to get in to. I used Meals on Wheels because I was too tired to even microwave something. Now you can order what you need online.  I wish you the very best in dealing with this. I always joke now that I know why the mafia breaks knees.  But, a shattered patella is no joke. Hang in there. It will get better, but it will take time and effort.

Offline jbopp123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 07:41:04 AM »
UPDATE óó Hi everyone. Thank you for all of your responses. Everyone had such great advice and inam forever grateful. It has been 3 weeks since surgery to wire my patella back together. I have never felt so helpless. This is worse than my breast cancer. I am a cancer survivor of 5 years now and had a double mastectomy with a DIEP flap reconstruction and then chemo. At least I was able to move around. Now Iím helpless. The depression and loneliness kicked in about a week after surgery so I quit taking the Norco and switched to just Advil. Iím feeling a little better emotionally but have days where it seems like it will never get better. So far the pain is almost gone just have a lot of pressure in the kneecap area. Still mostly non-weight bearing on the injured leg and Iím using crutches. My imoblizer is from the mid upper leg down to middle calf. I hate that thing!!!!! My ROM is about 24% and I have been going to PT twice a week. I have a trip planned to Cabo at the beginning and I sure hope I can manage it.  Thank you again for all of your advice and kind words. Hugs.

Offline tilly4

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 09:34:57 PM »
Hi Jacquie,
Iím not surprised to hear that the patella surgery is harder to deal with than breast cancer and subsequent surgery. Iím glad to hear you are feeling a little better today.  I too hated the immobilizer, but it did itís job well. Since you are planning to go to Cabo, I assume you must have someone to help you, and thatís really good. Where in the USA do you live?  Iím in Los Angeles. Feel free to ask me any questions as you recover. I can tell you what you already know. Itís hard. Treat yourself well. You will get through this.
Liz

Offline jbopp123

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 10:18:21 PM »
Hi Liz. There are 3 other couples going with us to Cabo. My biggest concern will be the stairs in the house.  Hopefully I will be able to put weight on my leg by then and walk some. I live not too far from you, just over the Grapevile in Bakersfield, CA.

support