Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: First Post - broken patella  (Read 337 times)

Offline mike77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
First Post - broken patella
« on: March 28, 2018, 01:46:51 PM »
Hi all - first post here - I'm a 40 year old male in the uk - broke my right patella 3 weeks ago in a cycling accident. No surgery, being treated with the full leg brace at the moment.

I know its still early days in terms of the recovery - its so frustrating not being able to walk, drive, cycle, put socks on myself.

Doctor says I'll have the brace on for at least 6 weeks - I assume after that I'll get some other kind of brace with limited flexibility in it, then physiotherapy for a few months after that. Trying hard not to get down about it but starting to realise this is going to be a tough summer for me and my family as it really restricts where we can go and what we can do.

I'm going to have a good read of this site and message board - looks like a great resource.

Offline Celina1989

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Re: First Post - broken patella
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 05:01:56 PM »
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.
Sorry to hear about your patella break. Interesting that they try to treat it with a brace instead of surgery, hope it works for you. i know how you feel! But i have not had an patella injury and im therefor not commenting on the way of treatment, just that it is an interesting option.

It is always bad to not be able to do the things you love, especially unexpected and especially in summer, altho it is only spring and who knows what you might be able to in summer. Just take it by the moment, im still learning to do so.  Im only 2 days after surgery and family is so important! Just be happy they are able to help you.

Wishing you a good recovery. Take care!

Offline mike77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 12:33:36 PM »
Thanks - yes its getting really frustrating but I know I need to be realistic about what I can and can't do at the moment.

Offline Pholder11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 06:31:51 AM »
Hi there. I also broke my patella. It痴 been 5 weeks. I wasn稚 doing anything fun. I fell walking up steps and hit my knee just right, what can I say, I知 talented like that. My fracture was not displaced and therefore, I too got the joy of having an immobilizing brace. I was straight leg for 3 weeks, then my flexion was increase to 40 degrees, and then finally this last wee increased to 70 degrees.
My issue recently, is that I知 still limping even though I theoretically have enough range allowance for normal walking. I知 not sure if my body has forgotten how to walk properly or if I知 just being impatient. Lol I start PT this week so we値l see how it goes.
I知 honestly a little jealous of those who have had surgery (a little) it seems that they are able to start moving faster. I think it痴 because if the body is healing the bone by not moving, the moving would counter act the healing. Just my guess. 
Sorry for rambling on. I think I知 just excited that someone else seems to have the same injury as  myself and I have not been able to find much information on fractured patella recovery without surgery. 😊
Hope you are recovering well.

Offline Karieviola

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:46:16 AM »
Hi,
I broke my patella in a very bad car accident back in 2002 I was 23 years old. I had to have surgery to put it back together. I don't know what type of break it was. All I know is I have the wire and what feels like pins in my knee, and yes it's all still there.

What I remember is that I had the surgery on May 21 (these dates are dates I will never forget). I had a leg immobilizer for at least a month, then I started going to physical therapy. A few weeks later, I graduated to a smaller knee brace. By that point I could drive. This was late late June, early July. So it took a couple of months.

I went to physical therapy probably until October. I could've kept going, but my insurance had run out. I had been going at least twice a week and the copay then was $40 each time. When you have just graduated from college, that is a lot of money.

Around this time, I could walk mostly okay. I still had terrible with stairs. My leg had atrophied a lot and the atrophy has never completely gone away. I can still see it ever so slightly now. It just looks like one though muscle is sightly smaller than the other. It was almost a year before I could do a decent job that want lopsided. Lol. I can now run normally.

I had about 22 staples. You can barely see the scar now.

You will heal, it just takes time and it goes very, very slowly. You have to be patient. When it's over, it will be past you, but there will be days when you might not think about it (this will take more than a year). I remember the hardware giving me a lot of trouble at first during that first year, especially if I was very tired.

Just hang in there!