Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthroscopy with broken cartilage, screw and stitch removal and scar investigati  (Read 150 times)

Offline clickypatella2018

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi all,

I had an arthroscopy done on Monday 5 March 2018 with cartilage removal and in addition I had a screw removal from a previous surgery and a stitch removed that had never dissolved from 5 years ago and a scar investigation (I don't know the reason for that)

Friday was definitely my worst day, I was gagging with pain, very nauseous, sore and swollen, but I woke up like a different person yesterday morning.

I am back to a lot of pain this morning.

Can I ask for tips on (a) sleeping at night and (b) I have two exams from tomorrow that are three hours long each - is there any way to keep knee from swelling up?

Thank you!

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 344
  • Neelie knee!
You have to elevate your knee as best you can under the desk, ice it (disposable ice packs), try one an hour for 15 minutes, stay on top of the pain with anti inflammatories (with food) and analgesics (paracetamol shouldn't make you sleepy unlike opiates) as prescribed.

Take your shoes off, wear loose clothes. Get permission to move around during the exam, surely you can get some dispensation for the exams?

Sleep on your good side, with a pillow between your knees and under your feet/calves

Elevate your knee above your heart whenever you can, i.e. All day today other than when doing your exercises etc. And regular icing

Good luck
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:14:21 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline clickypatella2018

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Thank you so much Vickster they are great tips!

I have already explained about the surgery so I will be in a room alone with an extra chair to elevate leg but I will definitely see If I can bring an ice pack in, and see if they will let me move around.

It never occurred to me to take my shoes off but will do that and will definitely wear loose clothes, Thank you so much again!