Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Living in pain/ cadavar ligament revision surgery  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Skhaligh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Living in pain/ cadavar ligament revision surgery
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:31:38 AM »
So my Story began back in 2012, I was in a bad car accident in the middle of nowhere and was star flighted out to the closest trauma hospital where I had a total of 5 surgeries 4 of them being my left knee. First surgery on that knee they placed an “large external fixator”  then two more surgeries thereafter were to add extra rods to position my leg properly, finally the last surgery 3months into being hospitalized after the accident I had the “ACL,MCL,PCL,” cadavar ligament reconstruction of which the moment I came out of I had the worst pain I’ve ever felt before as if my leg was going to explode from the inside! Right away they rushed me back into surgery and only with the explanation that my “Popliteal artery” had been “severed” in the accident (which mind you was 3MONTHS PRIOR I HAD ALREADY HAD 3 SURGERIES IN THAT LEG)/ If their was an issue with my popliteal artery it would have been known before this. (My conclusion is there was a complication in the surgery that the surgeon did Not want to admit too.) Right before being rushed into surgery again he told me I have a 50% chance I may LOSE MY LEG due to my blood loss. I did not end up losing my Leg thankfully but he told me I would never have good blood flow in that leg but with time it would get a bit better......Fast foward to now, 5 painful Years later I am just now getting insurance through my employer I’ve been living in horrific pain and instability with limited range of motion due to never having the proper physical therapy since I had no health insurance. Through the years I’ve literally felt my knee deteriorating and pain just keeps getting worse. I have done a lot of research and finally found a physician that has great reviews and testimonials that will be preforming what’s called a “Staged surgery” he has confirmed what my instincts have told me all along; that my surgeries had been done poorly and they will have to be redone except now I have bone spurs significant arthritis for my age and an overall heavily damaged knee. After the initial surgery wherein they remove the old cadavar ligaments and fill in the holes in my bone and then placing my leg in a brace for at least 3months while it heals then after that they will go in and redo all 4 ligaments again and have extensive physical therapy; the whole process is estimated to take a year to complete, so on top of the 5 painful past years I’ve had I must now undergo it all over again and lose another year of my youth all because the initial physician butchered my leg. I feel very overwhelmed and alone in this being that not many people to my knowledge have undergone a revisioned cadavar ligament replacement. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I just feel very lost in the mist of all of this. :-[
LK : 2012
1. External exfixator placed
2. Extra Rod placed to External exfixator
3. Rods adgested to reposition leg
4. ACL,MCL,PCL CADAVAR LIGAMENT REPLACEMENT and Recon
5. Poplieteal emergency surgery vascular clips placed and blood flow below knee permanently damaged.

RLeg:tibia/fibula frac

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 30
Re: Living in pain/ cadavar ligament revision surgery
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 08:29:37 AM »
Hi,

I haven't experienced anything close to what you have gone through, and still I am very frustrated with my own knee problems, so it is completely understandably that you feel overwhelmed after all those years of suffering.

How old are you?

You obviously have had a lot of surgeries and pain, and before doing anything else, I think it would be very very important to make sure that the "staged surgery" with the new physician you have found has the highest odds possible of being successful. Hence, even if you find this doc trustworthy, competent etc. I would still recommend that you try to get a second opinion from another renowned knee doc on this particular surgery in your particular case.

I think the really important thing here is to make sure that this surgery is the right one for you and that it will most likely be successful. As you mention, the rehab is long and you don't want to gamble here. If all the odds are in your favor and this surgery has a high chance of making you much better, I am quite sure you will manage one year of rehab, looking forward to basically a new (hopefully pain free) life after that.       
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Skhaligh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 12:21:42 AM »
Hi,

I haven't experienced anything close to what you have gone through, and still I am very frustrated with my own knee problems, so it is completely understandably that you feel overwhelmed after all those years of suffering.

How old are you?

You obviously have had a lot of surgeries and pain, and before doing anything else, I think it would be very very important to make sure that the "staged surgery" with the new physician you have found has the highest odds possible of being successful. Hence, even if you find this doc trustworthy, competent etc. I would still recommend that you try to get a second opinion from another renowned knee doc on this particular surgery in your particular case.

I think the really important thing here is to make sure that this surgery is the right one for you and that it will most likely be successful. As you mention, the rehab is long and you don't want to gamble here. If all the odds are in your favor and this surgery has a high chance of making you much better, I am quite sure you will manage one year of rehab, looking forward to basically a new (hopefully pain free) life after that.       

Hello,

Thank you so much for your input it feels good to know I’m not on my own and there is others who can relate I’m sorry about your RK and now your LK complications your having. I’m a 24year old female in Houston, Texas the accident happened when I was 19 and I’ve always been very active I used to love dancing and now pretty much everything physical hurts me so it’s very challenging just accepting this new forced lifestyle. Surprisingly enough I did my research and there were multiple doctors that came with great history but when I went to visit and get opinions none of them wanted to operate because they “did not feel comfortable touching another surgeons work” . From the small fraction of Doctors that do revisions the doctor I have chosen has the most experience working with badly done surgeries and has all positive outcomes. I also have vascular issues with my popliteal artery and I’m in the process of having that checked out to make sure it’s clear enough to proceed with the “staged surgery”.

Are you considering surgery for your knees?
5. Poplieteal emergency surgery vascular clips placed and blood flow below knee permanently damaged.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:07:11 AM »
Sounds like you have done your homework, and that's really good. Have the revision expert doc mentioned if there is any hurry getting the staged surgery started? That is, will things just keep deteriorating or is the current situation rather stable (but bad of course)?

Why I ask is because if there is no immediate hurry you could take some time to prepare, set up your life/conditions, mentally prepare yourself etc. for that 1 year of rehab. As many people here say, knee surgeries are almost as much a mental game as a physical one, and the better you are prepared for everything the easier it will go.

In my own case, I will not do anything except PT for my left knee, but possibly considering some sort of surgery in the future for my right knee, which is the main problem. However, there are no really good surgical options on the table at the moment, so let's see.   
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

Offline Skhaligh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 03:30:33 AM »
There isn’t exactly a hurry but he did mention my knee is only being damaged more as time passes without it being repaired correctly and I feel as if the pain is worsening with time as well Ive already met my deductible in insurance for this year and since it’s still early on I think it’s best to just get it knocked out as soon as possible. As you say it is definitely more of a mental game to me than a physical the first time took such a mental toll on me but to be honest I don’t think I could ever mentally prepare myself for this I knew I had this coming at one point and feel that it has interrupted my life so much already I’m hopeful to get this over with and hopefully close this chapter in my life for good.

I think your going about it the right way I would try to avoid surgery unless necessary hopefully with the PT your left knee improves things. As for your right knee I just recommend getting as much opinions as possible and getting extensive X-rays/MRIs and etc. so you know exactly what your dealing with to make the right decision for your right knee.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 09:47:57 AM »
Sounds like you pretty much have made up your mind and is getting ready to bite the bullet. Of course it is an unpleasant experience to go through whichever way one slices it, but I think you must just stay laser focused on the outcome (hopefully a normal pain free future life), and not getting all depressed about the process (1 tough year of rehab). Easier said than done, but still :)

Thanks for your opinions on my situation, I totally agree. I will actually get some new MRIs soon and see if the cartilage situation in the right knee has worsened, or if it is largely the same as when I had my last MRIs approx. 2 years ago.

Offline Skhaligh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 03:58:03 AM »
Yes thank you so much for your advice your right just staying focused on the end result which is so worth the one year verses a lifetime of a worsening knee.  :)

I hope the new MRI’s you get don’t show any worsening on your cartilage the best thing you can do is be completely informed on what’s going on inside to make the most accurate decision.  My X-rays have changed drastically within a 3year time frame from my last imaging, whatever decision you end up making I hope leads to the best outcome for your knees.  :)

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 09:17:35 AM »
Yup, let's see what my new MRI says, scary that your X-rays have changed drastically over 3 years! I hope there hasn't been any major change in my knee over the last 2 years, but I have heard several stories like yours; where the MRIs/X-rays have worsen quite much over only a few years. Well, let's see...

Anyhow, please keep us updated on how everything progresses in your case and vent in the forum when needed:)

Offline Skhaligh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 03:55:34 AM »
*QUICK UPDATE*******

Sorry I have been MIA, had my 1st of my 2 Staged Surgeries to replace and resposition all 4 ligaments with cadaver ligaments. I had my first surgery on May,2nd and now have made Hugeeeee improvement although my Dr. took out my ACL as he said it was useless and filled my “old drilled holes in my femur and tibia with “cadaver hip bone”; aswell as removing a huge amount of scar tissue formed throughout the past couple years.As I am expected to heal within a 3-4months time after healing he will go back in and remove the rest of my 3 useless ligaments and drill all new holes where he will insert the 4 cadaver new ligaments, also he will remove a “bone spur” on the outer side of my knee that grew just from the trauma over the years and anymore scar tissue found; Thus after I will have Mega physical therapy and expectancy of healing through these procedures should be a Year in total but I am feeling a lot better as I returned back to work 2 weeks post op started with half days and now I’m back to working full time and mostly overtime these days trying to take advantage of the time I have. I have a special brace which helps tremendouslyyyy in reducing my pain through work and everyday life. Looking forward to getting my second surgery so I may restart to build my life again other than living in Pain everyday.

Currently Range of Motion “ROM” is at 120 degrees max I can range from 110-115 most days without maxing myself out. My physical therapist say that I’m not getting my full ROM back due to “internal damage throughout these past 5 years” my quads and knee cap just don’t know how to bend that far anymore and get stuck at 120 degrees, but it will be corrected forcefully during my second surgery my knee must bend all the way after they insert all my new ligaments.

I will do my best to keep y’all updated please ask me if you have any questions.  Thank you for all support!  :)

Offline AndrewC

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »
*QUICK UPDATE*******

Sorry I have been MIA, had my 1st of my 2 Staged Surgeries to replace and resposition all 4 ligaments with cadaver ligaments. I had my first surgery on May,2nd and now have made Hugeeeee improvement although my Dr. took out my ACL as he said it was useless and filled my “old drilled holes in my femur and tibia with “cadaver hip bone”; aswell as removing a huge amount of scar tissue formed throughout the past couple years.As I am expected to heal within a 3-4months time after healing he will go back in and remove the rest of my 3 useless ligaments and drill all new holes where he will insert the 4 cadaver new ligaments, also he will remove a “bone spur” on the outer side of my knee that grew just from the trauma over the years and anymore scar tissue found; Thus after I will have Mega physical therapy and expectancy of healing through these procedures should be a Year in total but I am feeling a lot better as I returned back to work 2 weeks post op started with half days and now I’m back to working full time and mostly overtime these days trying to take advantage of the time I have. I have a special brace which helps tremendouslyyyy in reducing my pain through work and everyday life. Looking forward to getting my second surgery so I may restart to build my life again other than living in Pain everyday.

Currently Range of Motion “ROM” is at 120 degrees max I can range from 110-115 most days without maxing myself out. My physical therapist say that I’m not getting my full ROM back due to “internal damage throughout these past 5 years” my quads and knee cap just don’t know how to bend that far anymore and get stuck at 120 degrees, but it will be corrected forcefully during my second surgery my knee must bend all the way after they insert all my new ligaments.

I will do my best to keep y’all updated please ask me if you have any questions.  Thank you for all support!  :)

Awesome to hear!!! at your age you are most definitely doing the right thing and it sounds like you have a brilliant surgeon.
Keep going and I hope you have the amazing recovery you deserve for suffering all of that at your age! Look forward to seeing some more positive updates  ;D

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:01:56 PM by AndrewC »
Big bucket handle tear to lateral meniscus from sporting injury. Arthroscopy and meniscal repair carried out June 2004. sloooowwww recovery!!

2018 - torn medial meniscus in RH knee, partial extrusion. ongoing issues,

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 10:11:40 AM »
Great news! :)

support