Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL reconstruction at 24 years old - 4 years after injury  (Read 1738 times)

Offline Tdwrightt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
ACL reconstruction at 24 years old - 4 years after injury
« on: March 07, 2018, 07:51:35 PM »
Hi All,

I am in the UK and am going in for an ACL reconstruction on my right knee on Monday and thought to make a blog of my recovery!

My knee issues started 4 years ago (at 19( when I twisted my knee my playing football - in complete denial I thought I could keep up sport after the injury, but after a couple of giving ways went to the GP.

The GP and OS suspected a meniscus tear and booked me in for an anthroscopy saying 'You will be back to football in no time".

Operation was 12 months from the injury and after it I was told I they had taken 40% of my anterior medial meniscus and had a large tear in my ACL - I was told to look after my knee and quite contact sport. At this point in my life I was finishing UNI and starting first job, so just got on with it.

Over the last 3 years the knee never felt strong enough, and has very gradually got more painful and effecting daily life - causing ankle and hip pain on the same side. The crunch point was just before Christmas just gone, when I twisted my good (left) knee pushing a shopping trolley - this has led to some awful pain around the back and a catching in the knee when I bend and straighten.

So I rushed myself in for a MRI on both knees - the left one has come back saying there is nothing wrong (which I am sceptical of) - but for now the focus in getting the right ACL sorted.

So that is my story and I will look to post my progress and goals! To be perfectly honest I am terrified, even more so at the possibility of limited mobility and crippling arthritis - however, I hope that if I get my legs sorted, keep my legs strong and weight down I shall get on just fine well into my 50's.... Fingers Crossed!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 08:42:36 PM by Tdwrightt »
Nov 14 - Nasty RK twist playing football.
January 15 - RK Arthroscopy 40% Medial Meniscus, also, partial RK ACL tear found.
March 18 - RK ACL Reconstruction with hamstring and more medial meniscus removed.

Offline Tdwrightt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: ACL reconstruction at 24 years old - 4 years after injury
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:10:01 PM »
I am home now!

Surgery went well, but it turns out they had to take some more of my posterior meniscus - surgeon wouldnt give a percentage today but I have the rim intact which is the most important (I will just stick to cykcing and swimming forever) :|

The pain is not as bad as I thought, not to bad waking round hospital and to the car - hurts where the hamstring was taken but not too bad! I have phsyio on Wednesday so straight into it!

Will post back with an update after physio wednesday- if anyone has any tips do let me know!!! :)
January 15 - RK Arthroscopy 40% Medial Meniscus, also, partial RK ACL tear found.
March 18 - RK ACL Reconstruction with hamstring and more medial meniscus removed.

Offline Chadmills93

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
Hi guys

I recently tore my ACL and damaged my meniscus on my left knee.  Iíve had the surgery to repair my meniscus and I go bad to the hospital on the 19th which will be 6 week after the surgery! Iíve got the ACL reconstruction surgery next but does anyone know how long Iíll have to wait until I can have that done as I have a holiday booked in July. Hopefully very soon. Thanks.

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 345
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:10:40 AM »
What country are you in? Surely the length of time will depend where and how you will access the surgery.

NHS for example could be 6 months. You can always arrange to have after your holiday assuming you can then take the required month or whatever off work. Check when you go back

If you pay to go private or have private HC in UK could be a matter of weeks depending on the surgeon
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Chadmills93

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »
I live in the UK, Iím having it done on the nhs Iím just hoping I can have it done before so I can enjoy my holiday without worrying my knee will give way on me. Hoping I can get in pretty soon. Thank you!

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 345
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 04:57:53 PM »
I'd probably wait depending on what sort of holiday as ACLr has a long and involved rehab. Talk to your physio about bracing potentially to stabilise the knee.

July isn't long away and unless you can drop everything for a cancellation, I'd be surprised if you can get it done at least 6 weeks before your holiday. Where are you going, you won't want to be doing a long haul flight soon after knee surgery if at all avoidable

Call the hospital and ask what sort of wait you are looking at assuming you are already on the surgeons list

Might want to start your own thread too and get the moderator to merge these posts in
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Tdwrightt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »
From my experience the wait was up to 12 months for the operation on the NHS. You may well be pushed up the list for it to consider with the repair you have just had - as the longer without the ACL the more prone to tearing you will be!

Offline Tdwrightt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 03:58:40 PM »
Had bandage off today and first physio. The swelling is not as bad as I thought but still a good way off getting a decent knee bend.

I mainly need to now start waking up my quad and hamstring with bends and leg raises. Which aren't too painful, best to have an ice pack ready though.

Got the physio to check out my clicking left knee (good knee)- she seems to think it is a patella tracking error which will work it's self out in combination with my ACLR rehab! I was a bit sceptical as it was a twisting action which suddenly started this clicking/catching feeling - but everything she said makes sense!

I will post another update after a couple of days! Have physio on Saturday as well to keep something to aim for! :)

Offline Tdwrightt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 12:26:01 PM »
6 days post op now! Been to the physio this morning to review and look at my strength.

Happy with the quad strength and getting the leg straight, but need to work on the bend and waking normally. The walking isn't going to be easy as I probably haven't walked quite right for the 4 years I haven't had an ACL!!

The pain is probably a tad worse as the bruising is coming out,but nothing unbearable! Mainly feeling pain from hamstring twinges.

Just got to crack on now with the excersies - now getting bored of being layed up, but have more of the same to come so need to just get on with it!! :)

Offline Tdwrightt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 09:08:46 PM »
A week post operation today!
I am well and truly bored of sitting with my leg up!

Excersies are going well, 3 times a day - can nearly get my leg to 90 degree bend, not sure if this is normal a week or should it be bending more?

The pain is at its worst at the moment, particularly at the back of the knee, but not unbearable, I can now feel the pain localised where the surgery cuts are. There is also calf pain right at the top but I am pumping my ankle to avoid the DVB risk.

Keeping at it! :) Any advice welcome!

Offline Tdwrightt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 03:52:12 PM »
10 days post operation

Staples came out today, very surprised as to how neat the cuts were.

Overall pain is under control and have stopped with pain medication, the most pain that is coming now is in the front of the ankle and shin - I assume this is nerve pain. If anyone has any experience of how long I could expect the nerve pain to last?

As far as moving is concerned I am still using crutches but could do a few steps without - need to make sure I don't get carried away though!

I have physio Monday, so will be good to get there opinion and some more excersies!

Offline Tdwrightt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 09:51:40 PM »
17 Days Post Op

Knee is doing well and the pain in the knee is right down.

Physio has said the swelling is down to what they would expect at 4 weeks which is great news, now doing little squats and wall slides. I am also down to 1 crutch which is tiring the leg but overall feels stronger!

The biggest pain is numb burning and shock like pain running down shin and into ankle - really is sharp and painful. I am massaging it through day to try to get the nerves used to the contact. Hopefully this calms down soon so I can crack on with rehab when it gets more intense.

If any one has any advice or questions do drop a note!

Offline Tdwrightt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 06:31:37 PM »
19 days post op

First day out doing something!!! Managed a 25 minute walk around the shops on one crutch! Knee felt decent, didn't like any uneven ground but was fine!

Biggest pain is still neerves shotting in ankle and shin, I'm hoping that getting out more and walking will get them normalised!

Upped excersies to 4 times a day and aiming for 15 reps of each which is good! All getting better day by day! Just need to focus on walking properly as a main target!

Offline Tdwrightt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 07:02:11 PM »
23 days post op

I started back at work this week (2 days ago), I have an office job so nothing heavy, but I still have to get around the building to go to meetings, tea and toilet so my walkings around has increased. Legs are both definitely tired at the end of the day! Also, throwing squats and wall slides into daily excersies!

For the last 9 days I have been down to 1 crutch and can do short distances without the crutches but not doing too much of that until the physio suggests. The pain is it can be harder to walk normally (slight limp) with the crutch then without!

Pain wise the knee is still not too bad, as it is healing and swelling is right down I now have pain where the incisions are. The main pain is from the back of the knee and upward where the hamstring graft was taken, I still have a dark area which is a sort of bruise - but I can feel that it is tight where the bruise is so think it is some swelling/nerves settling down still.

I am still having the nerve pain down the shin into the ankle and have discovered that if I press behind the knee the ankle twinges, which is weird but I am trying to massage softly to normalise the touch! Again hope this all settle down as it heals and the swelling drops off!

Physio again tomorrow so will update on that!!!

Offline Tdwrightt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 08:31:14 PM »
24 days post op

Was back to see the physio today (3rd time overall since surgery).
I am seeing an NHS physio so they have a 'protocol' book which they use to determine week-by-week, where I should be and what I am doing - this is good as it must be a tried and tested guide, but this meant that I had no other exercises given to me as the book says so.

My current exercises are a variety of leg lifts on my front and back, calf raises, knee bending, squats and wall slides. To be fair they do give a good wide range of movements.

I am back to see the physiology on Tuesday and may be allowed to start some expertise bike - which would be great! I am also going to ask about when I can do bits in the pool, as I have found an aqua jogging class near me!

support