Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: not able to bend knee after femur and tibial plateau fracture  (Read 387 times)

Offline akcp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
not able to bend knee after femur and tibial plateau fracture
« on: February 18, 2018, 07:40:31 PM »
hi guys,
i hit a highway pillar on the left riding a bike. i was treated for femur fracture with compression syndrome done along with tibial plateau condyle fracture with faciatomy and skin grafting done. both fractures are on left side.
its been 40 days.
the faciatomy location where skin grafting was done is still not healed.
iam not able to bend my leg backwards, i sit on a flat chair and let my leg hanging its not straight down to the floor.
same degree of flexibility when iam on a CPM machine. iam in pain if angle is increased on CPM.
please provide suggestions for quick healing of skin and exercises, iam not sure which to try as i have two fractures on same leg.
am i not able to bend knee coz of the femur or tibia fracture.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 80
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: not able to bend knee after femur and tibial plateau fracture
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:37:54 AM »
Hi
This must all be terribly difficult after such a bad injury. We can give you lists of exercises but you will likely have a lot of scar tissue to contend with, as any bony alignment issues.

We have an ebook that may help, which you can download:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/ebooks/cornerstones-early-knee-rehabilitation

And maybe you should work your way through this course - as you may need manipulations or releases - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/courses/arthrofibrosis-12-part-course

Perhaps you could find a good physiotherapy unit with an isokinetic machine or flexionator?

Sheila
--
KNEEguru

Offline Beez Kneez

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: not able to bend knee after femur and tibial plateau fracture
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 03:20:01 AM »
Hello:  Sorry to hear that you are in such pain and I know to some degree because I have a tibial plateau fracture on my left leg (no surgery required, leg immobilizer for 6 weeks).  Unfortunately, there is no quick fix for this type of injury.  I injured my leg Feb 1, 2018, while I was out walking my lab when another lab came running towards us at full speed.  I had no idea that he would slam into me literally head first. I heard a sound like a twig snap and then crumpled to the ground.  I was taken by ambulance to the hospital where a CT scan showed a TBF. I started WB exercises 6 weeks after my injury but still have to use crutches (it is now April 12, 2018). I go to physio twice a week and practice the exercises on a daily basis.  My foot and leg (to about 4" above the knee) turn a deep red and swell as soon as I stand up and stay that way until I elevate my leg. I also have sharp intermittent pain in the kneecap area. I have read from the other blogs that this is normal and could take up to a year for recovery.  The only advice I can give you is don't give up and know that you are not alone in your recovery.  : )

support