Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 16 months in - all good except full flexion  (Read 342 times)

Offline Langer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
16 months in - all good except full flexion
« on: February 13, 2018, 02:43:21 PM »
Hi everyone, Iím a long-time lurker, first time poster. I had a patellar tendon ACL replacement about 16 months ago after a judo injury 23 months ago and must say that this forum was immensely helpful so many thanks to all the regulars.

My recovery has generally been very good, no major hassles and I now can do pretty much anything I could do before the injury. It feels good and stable, virtually no pain when kneeling and full extension which Iíve had pretty much since day 1. The only problem is I havenít regained full flexion. Visually both knees seem pretty similar, but I cannot quite kneel down and sit on my heels. Close but not quite. Every few weeks I have another go at encouraging it that last little bit, but it never quite gets there and this makes it a bit stiff and sore for the next few days when fully extending it, so I usually give up.

Should I keep trying or do I accept that it will never quite be the same again? My physio signed me off the best part of a year ago and didnít seem concerned about it back then but I was expecting some improvement.

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 311
  • Neelie knee!
Re: 16 months in - all good except full flexion
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:12:53 PM »
If itís a trouble, go see another Physio, over the years Iíve found a fresh pair of eyes from a more expert Physio usually a good thing. Get the impression youíre in the U.K., sonprivate sports Physio experienced in rehabbing ACL reconstructions

I think that kneeling is often an issue after a patellar tendon repair due to the tendon never really recovering

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Langer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 04:27:47 PM »
I'm not sure if it's a problem or not to be honest. It only really gives me grief when I try to push it that last final inch. It's not the kneecap itself that hurts which I think is a common problem with patellar tendon grafts, and I've learnt to kneel with my right foot out to the side a little and all my weight on the left to avoid the pain.

I am in the UK and luckily have health insurance at work which will cover a few physio sessions so I will get another opinion. Part of me had resigned to never fully recovering but you're right, a fresh pair of eyes can't hurt.

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 311
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »
Sounds good. Just make sure the Physio has lots of knee expertise :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation