Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Issues with active movement post lateral menisectomy  (Read 600 times)

Offline Level10BM

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Issues with active movement post lateral menisectomy
« on: February 12, 2018, 06:58:32 AM »
Hi everyone. I am now day 4 post lateral menisectomy. I have a discoid meniscus so basically the extra meniscus was taken out +50% of what would be considered the regular meniscus. So far pain has been minimal however I am having trouble initiating flexion of my knee joint/raising my knee up as if to go upstairs.

I have the conscious will to do it, the leg just will not move however it can be placed passively without issue. I assume this is because of continued swelling however I am taking anti-inflammatories and icing it constantly throughout the day in 2 hour intervals for 15 minutes.

I am at times able to do some active movement however there is pain/tightness in the lateral aspect of the knee. I also sometimes feel it 'catching' on some movements. Should I be pushing through this discomfort to regain ROM or should I be resting my leg straight/elevated.

Any input is much appreciated

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 337
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Issues with active movement post lateral menisectomy
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
You need to allow much longer than 4 days to recover. I was still using crutches for a few weeks after my left lateral menisectomy (20%), off work and driving for weeks.

Patience needed, expect 3 months to recover reasonably well. Continue to do the basic exercises from your physio like heel slides (good for extension and flexion), leg raises, ankle pumps for swelling, quad sets to keep the quads firing

The other thing, when elevating support the leg under calf/ankle and not knee if you can to help regain extension asap

There's going to be some pain where the tissue has been cut, it should subside as time goes on

Good luck, be patient and don't overdo it. Let your knee recover
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline LateralMeniscusIssuesGuy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
Re: Issues with active movement post lateral menisectomy
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 05:56:33 PM »
Cannot echo Vickster's remarks enough.  I was reported to have had a discoid meniscus and had a massive tear so needed a 2/3rd partial removal.

I don't know if the return to sport after 3 months was what caused it, but 2 years later suddenly had massive issues and my life has revolved around my knee for the 2 years since.  Really the best thing to do is set aside serious time with PTs who understand your circumstance and get strong and work on your movement patterns, and consider an unloader brace for sport.  If you currently have pristine articular cartilage surfaces, figure out from whoever you can ask what things you need to do so that you can safely participate in the lifestyle you want.  Don't rush this phase, don't put a timeline on it.  Lateral is usually tougher to come back from than a medial partial removal.

Please let us know how you get on.
JT
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy (2/3 removed), pristine articular cartilage...2013
Return to impact sport, continual responsive swelling ever since
Mild pain onset..2016
Arthroscopy reveals grade 2/3 articular cartilage damage lateral compartment behind kneecap
What now? Allograft / brace / nothing?

support