Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: downstream/upstream pains?  (Read 183 times)

Offline reader278

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
downstream/upstream pains?
« on: February 08, 2018, 04:27:44 AM »
Hi guys, 29 severe bilateral PFS, going for surgery on my left knee next week. I have hip pain and mild ankle pain mostly on my right leg (my right knee is the better knee). Does anyone else find they get pain in other body parts...that hopefully got better after the knee improved? Also psychologically it's becoming so challenging as I can barely walk. Just need some support/reassurance!

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 24
Re: downstream/upstream pains?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 09:51:12 AM »
Hi reader,

The same here...but on the same side as my worst (right) knee. A few weeks after my arthroscopic surgery I developed horrible hip pain, most likely due to all the limping. At one point, my knee was quite OK but I still couldn't walk or stand normally due to my hip pain. It was so bad I had a full examination of my hip with MRIs etc. No major problem was discovered and the pain went away as my knee improved and I could walk normally etc.

Now, several years later when the knee has started making problems again, I feel the hip pain occasionally as well as a foot and ankle pain. Like last time, I'm rather sure it all depends on the fact that I walk with a limp + have lost supportive muscles.

As your knee improves, I'm rather certain those other aches and pains will go away. I see a very clear correlation in my own case.

Good luck with the surgery! Please keep us updated on how everything progresses!     
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment

support