Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 3 weeks post pattela fracture - Iím going crazy here- please help !!  (Read 216 times)

Offline las6130

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
3 weeks ago yesterday I fractured my pattela. Went to dr. He did X-ray said pattela was fractured. Because of the severe swelling and pain he said I think you have probably tore something under knee cap. My dr sent me to mri. Mri results show no tears. My dr. Sent referral to orthopedic dr. On the day of orthopedic dr visit I was 2 1/2 weeks post injury. This dr did more X-rays and said the fracture is not seperated and the bone has not started mending. Said come back in two weeks to re-X-ray. If none has not started mending at that time we will talk about surgery.. This dr did not listen to me while I was there or when I called back several days later .. I feel like Iím gonna go crazy !!  When I fell, I tripped over a vacuum cleaner hose at work. My feet got tangled in the hose and I landed on my knees first before
The rest of me was face down on the ground. When I turned over the pain was excruciating. The girl I work with ran over and I said I hurt my knees and my left knee hurts all the way to my hip. Now here I am 3 weeks later still in horrible pain. Canít stand more than 30 minutes because of pain in fractured left leg and pain from all the stress on my right leg. Canít sit for long either because it is severely painful where your leg meets your buttocks when I sit. I can not sit on anything hard at all , for no time it is too painful. My knee is still swollen and I have pain in my whole leg .. my knee hurts and I have have pains that shoot Up and down my leg. My heal is now so painful that it is comparable to my leg pain. And the day I went to orthopedic dr. I get a new symptom. Now my foot is swelling periodically and turning warm .. other wise .. when itís not swollen.. itís averaging atleast 5 degrees cooler than my other foot. Now today another new symptom .. my knee has been cramping the last 12 hours. So much for dr saying do not flex you knee at all .. now itís flexing itself and itís very painful.. and on top of all this ..  I canít use my leg .. I lug it around because it wonít move on itís own. This is very troubling to me and the dr didnít seem concerned at all. He said he thought it was a matter of weakness. Itís not weakness my brain is not working my leg. I use my hip when Iím standing to move my leg. When sitting I have to pick it up to move it. ... Iím going crazy here .. please help .. is all this really normal with a pattela fracture or is something else wrong with me. Iím so scared Iím gonna lose the use of my leg...S.O.S

Offline gwendrina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: 3 weeks post pattela fracture - Iím going crazy here- please help !!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 07:51:00 PM »
Hi Las,

I also had broken patella, fell 8 weeks ago, and my bones did not separate so surgery was not indicated. My first doctor, an ortho guy, was not very attentive to what I told him and after the first visit had me come back in a week. He then said I needed surgery and did not even want to talk to me about cost or more importantly what it entailed. That was a red flag and I sought a second opinion with another orthopedic doctor. He was great and really reviewed the x-rays and talked with me concluding I did  not need surgery but therapy and a knee brace. Been doing good ever since and continue to recover with PT and mental focusing.

I did not have foot swelling , as you describe, or terrible pain in hip. I was always able to manage my leg despite the pain. I would recommend, if possible, seek a second opinion and see what another doctor says,  AT times, I did feel a coolness come over my leg but nothing drastic. No hot sensation, though. I wish you all the best.

Take care
Wendy

Offline las6130

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 12:33:53 AM »
Hi Wendy
Thanks for the information and encouragement. Yesterday I had a horrible day as I guess my post reflects.Iím having a pretty good day today and Iím hoping that these bones are starting to mend together. If I go back to this dr and he says I need surgery I will definitely get a second opinion. I do not like drs that donít listen to their patients. I have not had surgery. The bones are not seperated .. but at 2 1/2 weeks in the X-ray showed the bones have not started mending yet. But for the first 12 days my knee was extremely swollen, which I figure can hinder the healing process. My knee is still swollen but itís not as severe as it was first 12 days. The pain is not as excruciating either but still severe. My main concerns are the bone not healing and me not being able to move my leg. Iím trying to take it one day at a time. Thanks for responding !

Offline gwendrina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 01:07:27 AM »
Hi Again Las

Just wanted to add some more thoughts -- but so glad to hear you are having a better day. Keep icing the knee even if swelling goes down. A plastic bag with ice cubes will do but you can get a reusable cooling pack at local pharmacy. That feels much better on the knee. I still ice 3 times a day for 30 minutes, 15 on top of knee and 15 underneath. Also wearing a knee brace ( if you are not already wearing one)  at this stage of your recovery can really help with support, stabilizing the knee and lessening the pain. I take 1 advil every morning upon rising to reduce or prevent swelling.

Avoiding surgery if possible is essential. Most people who need surgery have shattered the patella in 5 to 7 pieces. The screws and wires that hold together the knee can cause a great deal of pain and recovery is long.  There are sol quad strengthening and foot extensions you can do when pain is minimized to help with flexibility and recovering better use of your leg. There are a number of good ones on you tube. Exercises, when ready, are so important.  And yes, take everything one day at a time. The knee is a very tricky injury, it takes awhile to heal and for the bone to mend. I think if your bones have not separated they will fuse. Rest as much as possible and keep the bone  or cap stabilized with a brace.

Good luck
Wendy

Offline gwendrina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 01:14:00 AM »
P.S. Here's a link to the type of knee brace I was using during my first 8 weeks of recovery. You can find them at pharmacies like CVS, Walgreen and I think in a store like Target if you are in the US.

http://cdn1.vnexttech.com/catalogs/aftermarket_apparel_gear/lg/evs_ks61-knee-stabilizer_361.jpg

As I said you may already be using one but if not I hope this gives you a good idea of what to look for --- if you should like to pursue this option. It will I believe help the bones to heal because it stabilizes the knee and at this stage, keeps the fracture form moving down further.

Best
Wendy

Offline las6130

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 04:22:28 AM »
Hi Wendy and thanks for all the info and support. I sure hope these bones start mending .. I feel like they  should have started by now and I guess the dr does as well. Trust me I want to avoid surgery at all cost .. I canít afford it and I also donít want to go back to the excruciating pain I experienced the first 10 days. I also do t want foreign objects in my knee that may cause complications later. Do you remember how long it took for your bones to start mending back? My knee cap is not shattered.. it is fractured .. looks like 1 fracture on X-ray. So there are two pieces. I am wearing a knee  immobilization brace. It keeps my knee from bending which could seperate the pieces. My husband bought me a brace like the one you sent link for but I canít put it on my knee right now itís too swollen and painful to put that kind of pressure on it. I feel Iím falling behind in healing .. like I should be further along. Like you said you felt about PT. I am 44 years old and thought maybe thatís causing the bones to heal a little slower.  What are your thoughts on that? Thanks for the chats, it really helps talking to someone who understands.

Lori

Offline gwendrina

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 07:30:30 PM »
Hi Lass

My bones started really healing in about three weeks if I remember correctly when the 2nd doctor and now my only doctor looked at the x-rays a second time. Each individual is different with a different body and set of circumstances -- so the healing time can vary. I also boosted my immune system with extra vitamin C took vitamin D supplements and bio flex for cartilage building, easing flexibility etc. I would say hang in there, rest, ice knee and try to stay positive, I realize this is an immense task when things look so dark and dismal, especially with the pain you are experiencing. If foot continues to be painful or swell, maybe soaking it in warm water mixed with Epson salts would help. I don't know but in the past when I have hurt my foot due to walking or dropping something on it, even when it blistered, that always worked for me.

And don't be too hard on  yourself if you feel down or have days of deep depression. That is natural and again, I wish you the best of luck and hope things turn out well for you.

Take care
Wendy

Offline las6130

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 05:28:21 AM »
Thank you Wendy for all the information and support. I have been taking vitamin d and bone builder vitamins .. I will add c and something for cartilage. I have decided I am changing Dr.s. I will call in the morning and schedule that. My upper front leg muscle has not moved since the fall and from everything I can gather this is not normal. I should also be able to sit for longer than 30 minutes .. sometimes less without severe pain. Since this Dr. will not listen I will have to find one that will. I need my leg and Iím willing to fight for it but I need a Dr who is willing to fight with me. Something is wrong with nerves or the muscle itself. I need to get to the bottom of this and find out so I can regain use of my leg. Thanks for the encouragement. I am trying to stay positive in all this .. some days are better than others... as I guess you already know.
Thanks again,
Lori