Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: VMO not activating on one leg due (lateral rotation)  (Read 303 times)

Offline Tom Thorpe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
VMO not activating on one leg due (lateral rotation)
« on: January 12, 2018, 12:09:20 PM »
On my left leg my VMO doesn't activate very well at all. I have slept and have been seated with it laterally rotated for long periods of time, for years now(i have stopped doing it as much a possible. I have been to a physio and they have said the usual 'strengthen it'. I have done a lot of research but can't really find anything. I can provide pictures of what it looks like as well as how i look when seated and sleeping. I have tried a few things but i need it sorting. Please help! :-[

Thanks, Tom - Fitness Coach

Online Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 324
  • Neelie knee!
Re: VMO not activating on one leg due (lateral rotation)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 01:13:06 PM »
Sounds like you need to find a more knowledgeable sports physiotherapist. Where do you live, perhaps someone can make a suggestion

Can none of your trainer colleagues help with a recommendation otherwise. What sport is your focus?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Torao

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
Re: VMO not activating on one leg due (lateral rotation)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:18:13 PM »
Some studies have found that using an estim machine can help the VMO activate. Also terminal knee extensions with a theraband are helpful (even if they look like they are ridiculous).

If you aren't sure if it's activating at all, sit down with a towel under your knee. See if you can tighten through the quad to lift your foot from the floor. If you put your fingers on the VMO, you should feel it contract. Work on holding that.