Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Severe Patellofemoral Degeneration  (Read 152 times)

Offline GillyJay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Severe Patellofemoral Degeneration
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »
Hi all, I've been diagnosed with severe patellofemoral degeneration (osteoarthritis of the left knee) since it started giving out last July - had to wait for swelling to two before having X-rays - then had a hospital visit with consultant who gave me a corticosteroid injection early October 17. Various issues on the way since that, from first being told it'll be ok to do the gym - clearly it wasn't and I went backwards for a couple of weeks with stiffness, limping etc but by early December all reasonably ok except I still couldn't do any weight bearing exercises and had little confidence in that knee. Late November, the consultant said I should try to strengthen the glutes, posterior muscles etc and give it a month or so and come back if no improvement. I'm a regular at the gym (2/3 times a week) and managed leg work as advised to strengthen around the knee, squats (gentle, leg extensions ouch, a lot of walking on treadmill) but here we are in January and today the knee has started giving way again - three times so far. To compound things the other knee is experiencing flashes of pain, like electric shocks which are sort of under control with ibuprofen. Anyone here have any similar problems? Consultant tells me next step is MRI and to see a surgeon but NHS can't give me an appointment with consultant til February! Think I should get an MRI done privately - anyone know where and how much? I'm in Devon, Uk.

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 281
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Severe Patellofemoral Degeneration
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:58:30 PM »
Sorry to hear of the diagnosis.

First thing, I'd stop doing leg extensions asap, they can be horrible for the patella area. Also bodyweight squats, esp deep ones due to the forces on the knees. I'd certainly get advice from a sports physio (private) with an interest and expertise in knees.

If you have one worn kneecap, you might well have the same in the other unfortunately. How old are you?

Ref the MRI, any private hospital pretty much will do. It's also possible you could pay at an NHS hospital (I've had scans done this way albeit funded by private insurance as the equipment wasn't available privately)

Cost wise, with reporting, realistically it could be around £500 for self pay, maybe more. You can shop around. You'll need a detailed referral letter from the Consultant so they know exactly what to scan and look for in the report (although in my experience they may well report on every little thing which can be scary). You could also check with Consultant if he has a preference for scanner/radiologist. Thereís a Nuffield hospital in Exeter (for a Devon example :) )

https://www.nuffieldhealth.com/hospitals/exeter/tests-scans/mri-scan

There's also a company called Alliance Medical that operates scanners all over the country (private, also do for NHS). They have one in Bridgwater in Somerset, around 35 miles from Exeter

Say you need one or both knees scanned and they should quote. Most will have peak and off peak rates I believe and also depends on how quickly you want it and the report

Good luck :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:07:13 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline GillyJay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »
Than you so much for your detailed reply. Itís really helpful. Iím 63, female and probably worn my knees out with cross country running, skiing, hi impact aerobics, step classes etc for too long in my younger days. I saw a private sports physio guy at the gym when this all started. Yes, I think the other knee is well on the way too but so far it hasnít started giving out. The sharp electric shock pains in it may be a sign. Saw the doctor about that but she wasnít very helpful and said it was probably a sign of the Ďgood kneeí wearing out due to me favouring it whilst coping with the bad one and just told me to take ibuprofen. I see on other sites thereís a lot of people with the same problem (electric shock type pains) but nobody has managed to diagnose it. Re MRI, I canít get hold of the consultant for another week as heís away and only at Barnstaple hospital on a Friday and currently not back there til next Friday and they canít give me an appointment til 9th Feb as heís fully booked and they donít want to move my case to someone else there but they say theyíve put me top of the list if he gets any cancellations before then. I do have a diagnosis letter from him from end of November which may suffice for the scan but only covers the one knee. I am going to ring the doc in the morning and see if he can advise on where to get MRI. I donít mind travelling for one so Bridgwater is fine. I live between Okehampton and Torrington.  I have contacted Nuffield Exeter this afternoon but so far they havenít come back to me. I didnít realise the scan came with a report.  I just thought it was supplied for you to pass to your surgeon/consultant. So that explains the £500! As regards the exercises, what Ive been doing was on the advice of this consultant! Thatís twice heís told me to do an exercises that exacerbated the problem! Losing a bit of faith in him! Think I should get both knees scanned too. May as well get the whole issue dealt with. Thank you again. Really appreciate your help!

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 06:55:30 PM »
Although they can read MRIs, in my experience consultants like the report because the radiologists are the experts and have the time to go painstakingly through the several hundred slices! Iíve had several instances where the consultant have picked up on the tiny cause of a symptom because they know the history, clinical picture and can prod around and find the bit that hurts!!

Your GP should be able to do a private referral, theyíll have done in before and will know where to suggest. Iím not that familiar with Devon and just guessed at Exeter  ;D
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline GillyJay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 07:05:15 PM »
Exeter was a good guess! Have to say the people at Arthritis Research have also been helpful for info about private referrals and gave me the same advice as you.
Thank you again  :)

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 07:10:25 PM »
There's also a private hospital in Torquay in case that's easier or more cost effective. Shop around (get them to confirm total cost) and then get GP referral

https://www.mountstuarthospital.co.uk/treatments/diagnostic-services
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline GillyJay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:20:52 PM »
Thank you! Yes I just found that one too. Thatís my task for the morning - shopping around. Itís going to be a busy time.
On another note, the electric shock spasms in the good knee are ramping up tonight. Donít know why because Iíve been sat at a desk most of this afternoon. Never realised just how horrible these knee problems are. I feel for all on this forum. Wish Iíd taken up knitting instead of sport when I was younger!

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 09:03:47 PM »
Pop a bag of peas on and then maybe have a warm bath

The pain is probably because you've been sat all day with your knee bent. You could try moving around more or rolling a tennis ball under the desk, bending and straightening so it doesn't stiffen up
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline GillyJay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Severe Patellofemoral Degeneratio
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 09:39:36 PM »
Thanks again Vickster, youíve been an absolute gem. Iíve got a wrap around ice pack and have done both knees. The bad knee has now joined in with the electric shock pains. Bit late for a bath so Iíll be taking ibuprofen before I go to bed. I think youíre right re sitting down too long. The good knee started these shock pains when I had a work at home day last week after having been sat at my desk for about 6 hours. I had a completely sleepless night along with a bit of help from Storm Eleanor. The shocks started randomly about every hour or two but got worse in the dead of night, every 10/20 mins probably because the legs are not moving. The only good thing the doc did was to confirm it wasnít serious ie a blood clot. D
Good idea for when Iím working too. Iíll get something under my feet to keep the legs from doing nothing. Thank you again.

support