Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Monovisc Recovery  (Read 467 times)

Offline Upgirl2013

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Monovisc Recovery
« on: January 02, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
I had a very painful Monovisc injection in my knee 4 days ago.   How long should the stinging internal pain last? I know the Orthopaedic used a large needle.  The Doctor did not use numbing agent and I am pretty sure I flinched a few time which may or may not be the cause of the needle hitting my bone twice.    I have mobility in my knee although it now hurts to move it "side ways". I swam laps for about a 1/2 hour today and now my knee is quite painful.  The injection site is cleaned and healed it is the nagging stinging and tenderness pain that is getting to me.
I have the 3 single injections two years ago, with spray numbing agent,  and they were not so painful and there was no recovery time.
Has anyone else had the nagging pain as a result of the injection?

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 299
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Monovisc Recovery
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 10:12:54 PM »
Give it at least a week, rest and ice, gentle physio type exercises. Presumably the knee is arthritic and was painful before the injection. The HA injections can take 6-12 weeks to take effect

The single jabs are more painful apparently as the substance is more viscous that the multiples. My surgeon no longer uses the single ones due to greater pain (his preferred brand is Ostenil, assume you are in North America where Synvisc/Monovisc seems more used).

Good luck
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline Upgirl2013

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 02:06:23 AM »
Thank you Vickster.  I do have OA in both knees but trying treating the left one and abating a knee replacement.  I found cycling and swimming has helped.

Offline Nightengale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:14:09 AM »
Hello,
I have osteoarthritis in the knee and had a PKR 2 yrs ago  I had Euflexa injections for 8 yrs which was like a miracle and alllowed me to be active until the need for more injections grew shorter and shorter.  What I can tell you is that I had never experienced not having my knee numbed prior and it was always 3 injections in different areas of the knee....not all in one shot?  I have also experienced those that were good at what they were doing with my walking away with very little pain and those that were not where I would have to sit in the waiting room for awhile until it died down so I could walk out of there.   Sounds to me like whoever gave you this injection was not very good at it.  Ask for someone else more experienced.  Nothing wrong with taking care of yourself.