Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial Plateau Fracture 6 months ago. 5 degrees short of full extension.  (Read 778 times)

Offline Douglas Firs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Had 6 screws and 1 plate installed 6 months ago for TPF.
I Just saw my OS a few days ago for followup, and he is weirdly unconcerned about my suboptimal ROM (98 Flexion, +5 or +6 Extension), after 3 months of PT. During PT, my ROM did not improve more than a 2-3 degrees.

OS never really emphasized the importance of working like mad to regain Extension immediately post surgery, and he never brought up an MUA at any point, until yesterday when he said it is inadvisable for regaining Extension, due to risk of fracture. I'm starting to panic that this is the ROM I will have permanently.

He prescribed MORE PT. But seeing that I have made next to zero progress so far, it seems unlikely  I will suddenly make any progress now that my scar tissue has solidified. It seems futile.

What can I do?? I NEED to have FULL extension.

He is an internationally sought-after 'top surgeon', and the surgery he did was great. But he kept telling me "+4 Extension" is fine, I don't see any limp when you walk."

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 91
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
This ebook may also help - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/ebooks/cornerstones-early-knee-rehabilitation

Of course, after a fracture, there may be imperfect alignment of the bones contributing to your problem, or some capsular adhesions at the back of the knee.
--
KNEEguru

Offline Douglas Firs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
KNEEguru, thank you very much for your replies.

regarding misalignment: this is what I have feared for some time. it seems possible that my knee is simply not aligned perfectly. i still cannot get my kneecap to 'track', and my foot on the TPF leg points outward slightly. it just seems to be not quite symmetrical.

when i do the flexion/extension stretches, it feels like i am working against something that doesn't 'want' to be FORCED to bend/straighten. it feels less like i am 'breaking through' scar tissue and more like i am trying to get a warped joint to operate smoothly, when it cannot do so.

but my OS has taken many post-surgical x-rays and has examined me. wouldn't he have noticed any misalignment?

i am so frustrated. in the two months since i made this thread, i have not improved my ROM and have gotten discouraged to the point that i've given up the exercises.