Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee immobilizer question  (Read 164 times)

Offline Lvjjp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee immobilizer question
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:34:54 AM »
I had ORIF surgery last Monday, November 27th, and was not given very good post op instructions, other than to keep my immobilizer on day and night and to not put any weight on it, which makes sense.  A couple of nights ago my immobilizer twisted a little and didn't feel right.  I undid the Velcro straps and replaced it.  Should I be concerned that it may not be placed correctly or the straps are too tight or not tight enough.  This happened after my OS office closed on Friday and I am planning on calling on Monday.  But if anyone has any ideas or recommendations until then I look forward to it.  My next OS appointment isn't until December 12th, and I don't wait to wait that long if I am causing additional damage.  On another note just laying around and being pretty useless is really messing with my mind, I find myself feeling anxiety, mild depression, and just overall frustrated.  Any ideas on how to overcome mental issues?

I am so glad I found this site and appreciate the encouraging posts I have read so far.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:37:33 AM by Lvjjp, Reason: Update »

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
Re: Knee immobilizer question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 09:31:44 AM »
Regarding the knee immobilizer, I don't think you should worry but do give the OS office a call on Monday morning and consult them, to get peace of mind.

And speaking of the mind, the mental part of knee surgery/recovery/rehabilitation is difficult for many. My best advice is to keep things in perspective. Although this surgery kind of destroys your normal life right now, the situation is temporary and fortunately a limited problem compared to for example serious disease. You will get/feel better :)

Meanwhile, try to occupy yourself with indoor hobbies such as reading, studying, watching TV series, playing video games, or whatever. Google 'indoor hobbies' if you have difficulties coming up with ideas :)

Good luck and let us know how things are developing!

Offline Lvjjp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 04:34:21 AM »
Thank you Brandon that is exactly what I needed to hear.  I guess I had a difficult time looking at the forest from the trees. Thanks again.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »
You're welcome :) Please vent here in the forum if/when things start to feel overwhelming again, it helps.