Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: kneecap is STUCK in one place?!  (Read 143 times)

Offline Chey Chey

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
kneecap is STUCK in one place?!
« on: November 27, 2017, 02:04:33 AM »
Hi everyone!
June 2016 I had a right MPFL recon due to completely tearing it. I went through physio and recovered well.
June 2017 I switched doctors and mentioned that my knee felt like it was catching. The MRI showed my fat pad was pinched so I got it trimmed down and went through physio for that.
August 2017 my doctor removed my screws that were put in during my MPFL and I had my fat pad trimmed down again.
Since my 2nd surgery, Iíve had constant pain and catching and my kneecap actually gets STUCK to where I have to physically move it to get it to where it needs to go when Iím bending my leg.
Has anyone had this problem before? My doctor says more physio will fix it but I canít do the physio because my kneecap gets stuck doing almost everything.
Any input would be appreciated!
MPFL RECON (R)- June 2016
MPFL RECON (L)- March 2017
LATERAL RELEASE/FAT PAD REDUCTION (R)- June 2017
SCREW REMOVAL/FAT PAD REDUCTION (R)- August 2017

Offline jackson7

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: kneecap is STUCK in one place?!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 01:04:54 AM »
I had this problem...and sympathize with you because it makes even attempting normal walking impossibly painful.

Doctor's right, the only thing that helps is strengthening quads.  My physio taped my knee (McConnell method) and it still took about a month of wearing tape constantly (even overnight), combined w/ light strength training, before it eventually started tracking well enough to walk without that particular pain.

Recently fell/setback my knee again (9 months post-op) and the mal-tracking started again, only not quite as bad...but my knee is swollen and hurts too much to do any exercise.

Dec 2015: slow speed bicycle crash (wet leaves)
Jan 2016: a zillion x-rays & 2 MRIs only showed tendinosis
Mar 2016: bone scan showed "uptake" in all compartments
Aug 2016: cortisone shot (did nothing)
Mar 2017: diag scope (partial med meniscus resection, med fem chondroplasty, synovectomy)

support