Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: advice! will i play again?  (Read 218 times)

Offline lou21

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
advice! will i play again?
« on: November 24, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »
Hello

I am a footballer (soccer) player aged 22 and I damaged cartilage during training through impact (November 2016). After, I went to see multiple doctors and came to the conclusion of microfracture surgery as all other attempts to heal naturally did not work. I underwent microfracture in August 2017. I was on crutches for 4 weeks as prescribed by my surgeon. I do a lot of cycling and swimming and I am very active, doing only none weight bearing exercises. The first two months didn't go so well and I was feeling the exact same pain as before surgery, but when it got closer to 3 months, week by week I started feel less pain. (November 2017) 3 months post surgery. I still have pain in the same location where I did the microfracture but it is significantly less. I have tried to jog just to test the pain and there is almost no pain while before surgery there was a lot of pain. I try and avoid anything that causes discomfort although I get a very sharp pain in the area that I had the microfracture when I lie face down on my bed and my patella is pushing against my knee. Here are some of the questions I wanted to ask from anyone that knows a lot about microfracture or has had a similar experience.

Should I still be feeling the same pain after surgery ?
Will this pain go away?
Am I cause more damage to the area by trying to jog?
How long till I can play again ?

Offline Vickster

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 269
  • Neelie knee!
Re: advice! will i play again?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »
Have you had a scan to check whether the fibrocartilage has formed and to look at the bone?
Where in the knee was the defect? Patella?

Youíll likely need to wait 6-12 months to see a benefit if itís been successful, unfortunately the failure rate can be quite high, depending on the location in th knee (worse if the kneecap due to shearing forces)

You may find that thereís always some pain where the bone has been drilled. Once a knee has had an injury and invasive surgery, you may find itís never the same again unfortunately. Discuss with your surgeon

Engage a Physio experienced in knee rehab in sports players (football
If possible)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:22:40 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
LK New MRI shows lat & medial meniscus tear & other stuff
RK MRI lat meniscus tear
8/1/15 RK Steroid jab,
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »
I am moving this to the General area (and have removed the duplicate posts - it is a bit confusing to have duplicates).
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 05:29:13 PM »
In three months you seem to have had a good response. It would be best to continue gentle range of motion exercises and not push the knee hard, so that you optimise the outcome.
--
KNEEguru

Offline Torao

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:33:51 PM »
I have a friend who had microfracture surgery in her 30s and returned to gymnastics and ballet. She has some pain, but manages to do layouts and such.

I had full cartilage replacement for patella and trochlear groove (ACI) and returned to capoeira, parkour and gymnastics. I mostly only have knee pain when I don't do enough rehab like foam rolling and stretching (or I am in the car for too long).

The journey is long, but if you do your rehab and your scans look good, you can get back to sports. You have to accept that the progress will be slow, but it will eventually get there. I remember at one point after I was back at parkour when the coach asked me "when did you get a one-legged squat back?" and I couldn't answer because I had just gone into it without thinking. I still struggle with some longer jumps, but that's far more mental than physical.

The best advice I can give is to do all of your rehab. Treat it as seriously as you would training to play football. Also talk to your PT/doctor about what you can do to regain strength specifically related to your sport. I know more or less nothing about football, but I assume there is a lot of start and stop movements and other stuff that is sport specific.

The other best advice I can give if you want to stay active in sports is to find a way to stay involved now while you can't play. Help coach or help with team activities. With long term recoveries people find other things to fill their time and then it can be hard to start again. My doctor and PT both thought I was crazy being back in the gymnastics gym and at parkour as soon as I could drive post surgery, but for me it helped me focus on what I wanted back as I did my 10,000 set of terminal knee extensions or leg raises.