Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Two ACL surgeryís now I broke my knee cap  (Read 210 times)

Offline Stevekraynik80

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Two ACL surgeryís now I broke my knee cap
« on: November 22, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »
Hello everyone Iím 18 and just had my 3rd knee surgery(same knee) yesterday on my knee cap! I had acl surgery 2 months ago and I used my patella tendon for a new acl! (first one was a year before using hamstrings) and was doing great til I slipped and broke my knee cap in my house! Iím really discouraged by this and feel this knee will never be back to normal! Iím on oxycodone/apap 5-325 1 every 6 hours for the pain and itís not doing much (still hurts a lot)compared to my prior 2 acl reconstuctions! It really hurts guys and Iím only one day out of surgery and I just need support right now! My pain is crazy and hurts way more then the acl ! Do I ask my doc for better meds? And I was doing great rehabbing my acl for the second time til I slipped in my home! Now Iím locked back in the brace again for 6 weeks straight! Iím upset frustrated disappointed with my life right now.. wish I never slipped I was unlucky that night! I will never play sports again most likely cause I am afraid! I wanted to be a police officer up til now Iím starting to question my knee and my self! My acl rehab is now getting pushed back which I was excelling at! And I have to now rehab my acl and knee cap in six weeks ! Sorry if this is confusing first post

Offline Stevekraynik80

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Two ACL surgeryís now I broke my knee cap
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »
I had 4 titanium pins put in my knee cap no wire or anything like Iíve seen in other patella fracture posts!

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:11:53 PM »
Pain killers used in combinations can be more effective.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2920146/

I found 1g of Paracetamol effective for the pain (I had a pretty bad break) but be careful of dosage, longer term use can damage the liver. I tried adding ibuprofen and aspirin but that didn't help so stuck with just the paracetamol. Adding caffeine tablets (in the morning so as not to disturb sleep) can help too.
I was offered tramadol in hospital but that just made me sick.

In Europe opioids like oxycodone are not as widely prescribed as in the US (we hear on the news the problems with these). Someone on the forum became addicted and it was a sad story.
The pain sucks but it gradually reduces and you don't want to come out of it with a dependency.

It gets better...
Mark
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion

Offline eldoboardn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 10:24:40 PM »
I have 4 screws in my patella as well (they look like a # in the x-rays).  From what my doc said, it's not very common to have to use 4 screws.  You must have broken it pretty good.

My doc had me taking 1-2 tylenol (which I think is the same as Paracemetol?) with my oxycodone, and the combination controlled my pain pretty well in the first 10 days or so.  After the first week, I was able to start weening myself off the oxycodone as the pain subsided. They also told me not to use NSAID's (like ibuprofen) because they can slow down the bone healing process.  It's probably best to check in with your doc to make sure combining medications is ok in your case.  If you let them know that your prescription isn't controlling your pain very well, they'll probably have some suggestions for you.

Ice was another huge help for me to alleviate the pain.  I used an ice pad on my knee almost constantly for the first couple of weeks, and continued to ice it at least a few times a day for many months afterword.

Sorry you had to join our club.  Hopefully you'll have better luck from here on out.

Offline Stevekraynik80

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 12:10:18 AM »
Thanks you guys for the great information! 

Offline Mxline167

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »
Whatís up Steve, sorry to hear about your knee bud. I had the same thing happen to me. On 11/9/16 I had acl surgery using patellar tendon. Then on 1/13/17 I slipped down my stairs and broke the knee cap in half on the same knee, I actually didnít even hit my knee, it just pulled apart. Then on 1/18/17 I had surgery with 2 pins and figure 8 wire. First off I know exactly how you feel, I couldnít believe it and really didnít want to accept it and was depressed. But you have to get passed it and try to find some positive. Once I was like 4 weeks out I started doing some upper body home workouts on a chair where I could keep my leg straight. I had to do something to get my heart beat up and get some endorphins flowing. I put all my effort into physical therapy also, because it was a lot harder to get my Range of motion back after this break. To give you an update on me I was out a total of like 8 months, I had my hardware removed in May, so 4 months after it was put in which has made all the difference now. I am pretty much back to what I was doing which is Mountain Biking (downhill) and motocross. My leg is still a bit smaller since the muscle takes a while to get back. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel, try and keep your mind busy and keep your head up.