Advertisement - Hide this advert





Author Topic: Tough Descisions ahead  (Read 170 times)

Offline Musashi-Do

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Liked: 0
Tough Descisions ahead
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:13:48 PM »
Hi all!

Around 12 years ago I blew out my knee. I fractured my tibiaplateau, torn ACL & PCL and an avulsion of the Musculus popliteus. The also is one small piece of Cartilage that took a little blow and has since a level III Cartilagedamage. I got fixed up really good and everything was nice. However 5 years ago I reruptured the ACL again. It got fixed and I had been living without any Problems since.

Now comes the kicker - 13 Weeks ago I felt a sharp sting in the knee while working out. The pain went a way as fast as it occured. First thing that came to my mind was "ACL!". How ever I was able to walk around there was no swelling or reoccuring pain.  A couple of days after a slight "irritation feeling" manifested in my knee and is there ever since. I found out that apparently my ACL graft is elongated (which caused a swollen hoffa). I have been to two doctors to get their oppinion on it. One says - i wouldnīt get surgery yet. The other one wants to put a new acl in there (Patella Graft, same knee - Quad & Semis got used before so none of that is left in that knee).

I can walk around and all. Iīm limited only in my sporting abilities and the idea of teaching my daughter how to ride her bike doesnīt sit to good with me at the moment.

So basicly - I have to decide on a surgery with a unknown outcome or settle with what I got and risk secondary knee injury...

What would you choos?

Offline Brandon123

  • Forum Faithful
  • ****
  • Posts: 228
  • Liked: 14
Re: Tough Descisions ahead
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »
I would probably follow the advise of the no 1 doctor and wait a while, and possibly get a third opinion meanwhile. It is usually never a good idea to jump into surgery if not absolutely necessary. 

Offline Musashi-Do

  • MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tough Descisions ahead
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 09:06:18 PM »
Just a quick update.

I went out to get another opinion from a top knee OS. He refered me to another one whom he regards as more skilled. Apparently my Popliteus never got fixed which put a lot of work onto the PCL Graft - which therefore elongated. With a insufficent PCL there is a lot of work on the ACL Graft - which, you guessed it, therefore elongated. Both, ACL & PCL are only slightly loose (+1) but the combined instability seems to be way worse.

However it isnīt really clear that another campaign of surgeries would fix the instability to a degree that its worth taking the risks. So basicly the OS said to "adjust activity" and sit tight. In 15 - 20 Years there would be a TKR waiting for me.

Not really sure if thats something to be keen about.