Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Upcoming TTT, MPFL reconstruction, and lateral release  (Read 153 times)

Offline JayMarieRN

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Upcoming TTT, MPFL reconstruction, and lateral release
« on: November 20, 2017, 06:47:27 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm new here. Back on August 14th, I slipped on a wet floor at Target and dislocated my kneecap. It was extremely swollen and bruised for a few weeks, and I wasn't able to use it much. I saw an Ortho who told me to just RICE for 3 weeks and come back. After 3 weeks, he told me that  he didn't feel a quad tear and started me with therapy. After 2 sessions (and about 10 weeks all together since the initial injury) he was worried that my knee was still buckling when I walked on it and was unable to walk without 1 crutch. He recommended me to his partner who immediately told me that I have a patellar-femoral maltracking in both knees and that my CT scan shows tearing of the ligaments (I'm unable to have MRI due to a device implanted in me for urinary retention). Now, he is wanting to do a TTT, a lateral release, and MPFL reconstruction. Unfortunately, due to the first ortho not diagnosing me right away, my job (I'm a registered nurse at a LTC/alzheimers specialty facility)  will be letting me go the first week of Dec since I will be out of FMLA time. My question is, what is everyone's experience with these surgeries done all at once? My apartment (which I may not get to keep much longer due to being out of work now), has 2 sets of steps to get to it. Does this sound like something I'll be able to handle since I will be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks? What was the pain like post-op? Also, does anyone know if I have my surgery before my benefits lapse, will my insurance will be required to cover the follow-up appointments/PT until I'm healed? Thanks in advance, everyone!

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
Re: Upcoming TTT, MPFL reconstruction, and lateral release
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 11:49:33 PM »
Hi there!
I'm sorry to hear that you've been dealing with this pain for awhile now! So I had a TTO, MPFL reconstruction, and a lateral release done a couple of years ago. I stayed 1 night in the hospital and pretty much stayed in bed at home for about the first week or so. I really stayed ahead of my pain and stayed on top of my meds which was an absolute lifesaver. That's definitely one piece of advice- stay on top of your meds! Every surgeon has different protocols. For me I was in an immobilizer for 6 weeks and crutches for about 3 weeks. After that it was about getting my ROM and strength back.

I have about 12 stairs to get into my house and I was totally fine doing that. Have you ever used crutches before? At the hospital they will teach you how to safely use them on stairs. Go SLOW and just take your time and you'll be fine! They are exhausting while on crutches, but totally doable.

Pain post-op varies from person to person. For me personally, as long as I stayed on top of my meds, it was manageable. That first week or two is the toughest but after that you should see big improvements in pain and energy everyday. I'm not sure about the insurance question, I would definitely call and ask about that.

Let me know if you have any other questions! Do you have a surgery date?
TTO, LR, arthoscopy, medial tightening R leg -03/'13
Hardware Removal- 9/'13
TTO, LR, athroscopy, medial tightening L leg- 10/'13
VMO advancement, LR, trochleoplasty

support