Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Pain 2 Years After MPFL Recon Surgery  (Read 224 times)

Offline emm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pain 2 Years After MPFL Recon Surgery
« on: November 17, 2017, 03:41:18 AM »
Hey y'all. I had MFPL recon surgery about a year and a half ago and it has always been kinda painful. I expected as much seeing as it had been operated on and went to PT for nearly 6 months and continue to work out regularly, as was recommended by my doctor. But recently its been hurting more and more and becoming more and more like the pain I was having before the surgery. It doesn't look like its tracking incorrectly, but it does crackle a lot if I have to bend down, along with a great deal of pain most of the time. I've been icing it regularly and even stared wearing my braced again to see if maybe it was because of the weather. I'm nervous that something might be wrong and didn't know if anyone else had had a similar experience.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Pain 2 Years After MPFL Recon Surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »
Although most patients have a good result after MPFL reconstruction, some continue to have problems. I have just been looking at this rather long 2016 article - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5502077/ and if you scroll towards the end you will be able to follow some of the issues.

It would be good if you knew whether or not you were fully investigated for trochlear dysplasia before you had the MPFL reconstruction, as residual trochlear dysplasia may put strain on the reconstruction and eventually lead to its failure.

I am going to have a go later today to 'interpret' this article and will put a link there for you if I remember...
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 06:50:10 PM »
In reviewing that first article, it seems as if an important consideration is the placement of the femoral tunnel, because if it is too high (proximal) or too anterior, then it can put strain on the graft. Another consideration is whether or not a tunnel was drilled right through your patella, as a patellar fracture can complicate the recovery if this was the case. You would need to ask your surgeon for his/her opinion.
--
KNEEguru

Offline makzinations

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »
Hi,

I've registered on this website after reading above posts, and because this is a recently posted question. I'm facing exactly the same issue as the OP'er. After my MPFL surgery on 1st of October 2015, I had a feeling that the post operative pain is the same pain as I had before surgery. Now, after more than 2 years (and 2.5 years of pain), I still face lots of kneepain everyday. The pain goes in waves, sometimes there's no issue at all for a couple of hours, the moment after I have a constant 'mild' pain with periods from 30-90 seconds of intense, huge pain waves. After this relative short period of huge pain it starts wearing off to the mild or no pain at all.

The kneepain has never been absent for more than a couple of days, I'm 25 years old and living day in day out with this kneepain. The same as the OP is in my case, the tracking seems absolutely perfect, but my knee crackles a lot, especially when I'm in a painwave, then it keeps crackling with every little tension I put on it.

As said by TheKneeGuru; it could be because of a misplaced graft, but I asked my surgeon and he knows about this problem. The surgeon who done my knee is a really good surgeon with a really long time of expertise. He told me he had placed the graft tunnel in the correct position, and didn't tighten it too much, also not too loose.

Something to notice in my case, I have a little bit arthritis in my kneecap, just a bit off from the center of the kneecap on the inside part. I've had 2 shots of Ostenil Plus (hyaluron acid) in my knee without any positive effect. My surgeon told me he thinks it's not working because of the badly reachable place (inside part of kneecap, little off from the middle) of the arthritis.

I have some specific questions to the OP (emm), as I will send him a private message right now. I'm so done with this kneepain, especially because I'm at such a young age. If I'd be 60-70, I'd deal with it, but I have a whole life in front of me. I can walk for maximum 400 meters, can't run anymore, can't workout, can't do sports, all of these types of exercise are resulting in the kneepain.

OP'er, may I ask you how your feets are? Do you suffer from splayfoots? In my case this is a problem, I'm currently on rehabilitate (don't know the word for it in English), they are also going to make the inlay soles for the shoes specially for my feet. Hopefully this will result in something positive.

Looking forward to some replies, and hopefully people who suffer with the same issue are taking some time to register an account here and post your thought.

Thank you all!

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:27:09 AM »
Emm will need 20 posts before the Private Message box will 'open'. This is easily done by going to the Games section and playing some word games This system is to deter PM spammers).
--
KNEEguru