Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: help... lateral release w/ medial reef (caused a tracking problem)  (Read 68 times)

Offline samstevens

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi guys,
Please help because i am strongly REGRETTING getting SURGERY and would benefit from some inspiration or advice from someone who's had a tracking disorder and/or lateral release with medial reefing.

Here's my history of knee issues: (SKIP TO THE LAST 2 SECTIONS FOR THE MAIN POINT)
I've had patellar instability in both knees for about 5 years (I'm a teenager). After many attempts to strengthen my quads/glutes in physical therapy along with bracing for running and sports, my doctor strongly recommended getting a lateral release with a medial "tie-down" (aka reef).
The grooves under my knee caps are unusually shallow because of the way I am genetically. So, when the knee would dislocate it would slip out then back in quickly, but cause a lot of pain during and after for weeks afterwards.
This surgery wasn't absolutely necessary, BUT my doctor said that my problem was something that I would have to fix eventually, as it would just continue to dislocate more and more. So, I decided to get the surgery.
I got the first one on my right, and had an average recovery although there were tough days.

THEN, I GOT MY SECOND KNEE DONE. (same procedure... lateral release w/ medial reef). This is when it all went downhill. I got it 4 months after the first, and 4 months ago to this date.
As of now, I am having tracking issues at the same degree of bend. It's almost as if my muscle manages to grab onto the kneecap but then lets go part way through the bend :/
My physical therapist says my vmo is not "firing", but he has been saying that for months now. I'm extremely nervous that this tracking issue will be permanent... it causes pain going down stairs, walking, and standing for long periods of time.

This surgery has honestly created more problems than were there before, so I am very concerned. At this point, I WISH THAT I NEVER GOT THE SURGERY.

BUT, i am hoping that there is light at the end of the tunnel!... Any one been through this surgery? Anyone had this same issue with the tracking disorder? or a lack of firing in the vmo? ANYTHING like this (whether or not from surgery)??
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:17:30 AM by samstevens »

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
Re: help... lateral release w/ medial reef (caused a tracking problem)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
Hi Sam,

I haven't had your type of surgery, but I had problems to get my VMO to fire after a chondroplasty. In fact, much of my normal quad function was inhibited for a few weeks. Eventually, with standard PT exercises and time everything slowly got going again. Have you asked your PT about e-stim?

support