Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Weakness in left knee  (Read 102 times)

Offline Alex36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Weakness in left knee
« on: November 12, 2017, 06:38:24 PM »
Hi,

I will try to explain as clearly as possible my issue.

I don't have knee pain which is a good thing but I feel that my left knee is weaker than my right one. I am trying to correct it for almost a year now.

I already did an MRI and they didnt found anything of importance but just a suspicion of Chondromalacia. Doctor also said that my muscle are weaker on the left side than the right one.

I am not a sports person, I just do bicycle from time to time. My doctor prescribed me some exercices to strengthen and stretch surrounding knee muscles. I am doing them regularly and it has improved since.

So my problem is the following, I noticed that my Vastus medialis get very tight after putting effort on it like doing Squat, it becomes tight and a bit painfull and then my knee starts to feels weak. Sometimes it can be so tight that it is annoying me while walking etc.
What can cause this muscle to be tight ?

I know that strenghtening the VMO itself isnt really possible so I keep doing some exercices to strengthen the muscles surrounding my knee like Wall Sit, Squat with body weight and Bicycle and then I strechted.

I also know I should probably go to a doctor again to ask for a diagnosis but as I dont have pain and the problem isnt really annoying, I would like to ask if someone already has this kind of issue and eventually  help me with a solution.

How long does it take to get your quads / VMO stronger ? I'm considering going to the gym to do some leg press / leg extension and see if it can speed up the recovery.

Thank you,

Alexis

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Weakness in left knee
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 07:40:01 PM »
I wonder if things might improve if you added 'core' exercises to your regime, trying to strengthen and balance your hip muscles and trunk muscles - see the suite of hip exercises here -  http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/a-z-rehabilitation-exercises/hip-abduction

Also you might try to assess if you have any rotational deformity of the long bones on the one side - just a thought...
--
KNEEguru

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Weakness in left knee
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 07:44:28 PM »
--
KNEEguru