Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Sudden loss of quad strength while recovering from patella dislocation  (Read 91 times)

Offline Mar82

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I dislocated my patella three weeks ago. It was my first time, no ligament or tendon issues so no surgery needed. Iím in a J Brace and walking with crutches. Was progressing nicely in PT but I fear Iíve had a setback. I am 35, female.

Last night I went to a lecture where I wore my brace for three hours. It was probably too tight and very uncomfortable but we were in the front row and I felt self conscious about loosening it and sliding it down. My leg felt very weak after and now this morning I can no longer do the straight leg raises that I was doing twice a day for PT with no problem. Also my quad sets are not nearly as intense- my patella barely shifts. I canít put as much weight on it as I could before.

Iíll be calling my doctor first thing tomorrow but itís Sunday here and Iím freaking out about the loss of progress. Did I snap some tendon? Iím really concerned about setting my progress back or maybe now needing surgery.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Sudden loss of quad strength while recovering from patella dislocation
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 07:12:23 PM »
I am sure you have seen your doctor by now, but I cannot think of any tendon that could suddenly snap. The MPFL ligament is often damaged with the first dislocation, and it is not impossible that some partially torn strands tore further, but again this is unlikely.

The quads often become 'inhibited' after a knee injury, and just won't fire... This is the most likely explanation. You may have increased joint fluid inside the knee as well, which can set you back.
--
KNEEguru

Offline Dave_W

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Sudden loss of quad strength while recovering from patella dislocation
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »
I've had quad inhibition twice since getting my knee surgery 3.5 years ago. One of the best ways to reactivate the quad is electrical stimulation. I used a product called the Kneehab xp. Be sure to reactivate your quad asap as it will cause lots more issues if the quad is left shutdown and begins to atrophy.

support