Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella tilting, quads firing uneven.  (Read 126 times)

Offline Chrisse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella tilting, quads firing uneven.
« on: November 12, 2017, 03:47:47 AM »
Hey there my name is Christoffer and I've been dealing with this problem with my knee for approx one year now and it doesn't get better.

The thing is that my quads are firing uneven. When I flex my quads the vmo activates before my vastus lateralis/outerside. Therefor causing my kneecap to tilt medially.

Anyone else had any similar issue that might got some tips on massages/exercises?

My physio just treats it like any other knee issue, and doesn't seem 2 care/notice about the uneven firing and the tilting.

So anything would be appreciated, thanks!

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
Re: Patella tilting, quads firing uneven.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 03:36:27 PM »
Hi Chrisse,

I'm definitively not an expert on this, but from what I've read online the VMO usually fires first in individuals with normal patella tracking. The problem in most cases is when the VMO is not firing properly (or firing very late) and the patella is pulled laterally. Hence, a lot of the physio exercises for knee pain aim at strengthening the VMO and get it to fire properly.

What is your symptom/diagnosis? Are you sure the VMO is the cause?

Offline Chrisse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 05:43:19 PM »
Hi Chrisse,

I'm definitively not an expert on this, but from what I've read online the VMO usually fires first in individuals with normal patella tracking. The problem in most cases is when the VMO is not firing properly (or firing very late) and the patella is pulled laterally. Hence, a lot of the physio exercises for knee pain aim at strengthening the VMO and get it to fire properly.

What is your symptom/diagnosis? Are you sure the VMO is the cause?

Yeah I know, spent hours trying to find anything about it but no luck. My left leg quads kinda fires at the same time but the vmo on my right fires like 1 secound before the other vastus lateralis/outerpart take part.

Therefor the kneecap slides much to the medial side before then tracking to the lateral side which is causing me discomfort and small amount of inflammation.

There has also accoured some kind of clicking sound with it, when doing leg press, leg extensions etc.

The physio and Os just tell me to do rehab and not 2 think about the click, discomfort - but that's kinda hard if you feel me :-\

There is a video on youtube with a guy with uneven firing there u clearly can see his vmo firing kinda like mine if you search for quads firing uneven or something like that.

Thanks for reply tho.

Offline Chrisse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 05:48:52 PM »
Kinda like this but a little bit worse - https://youtu.be/G2neCEbA6Pw

I do lack quite abit of quad muscle overall that might contribute but yeah. So you know what im talking about.

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:13:11 AM »
Ok, I understand. Maybe you can check with another PT? Get a second opinion on the firing and clicking etc.

Offline Alex36

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »
Hi Chrisse,

I have a similar issue than you, my left quads doesnt fire as good as the right mostly due to a tight VMO.

What I found helpful was doing quads exercices like Wall Sit / Bicycle and then a good stretch after. My quads get loss and somehow fire properly.

I believe the issue come from a muscle weakness so your quads get tired quicker than the good one and tighten up which cause this firing problem.

Hope this help.

Alexis

support